B. Norris

Rus Sax with Bear Theme WIP - warning picture intensive

Finally some progress with this project. Feels good to be getting somewhere with this.

First off, the pommel. I ended up using punches, etc., to stamp the pattern in because, the transfer of toner to the brass, using an iron, did not work. Not enough heat, I think, and with all the pressure and moving the iron around - the design smeared. I think the technique would work well with thinner brass or if I used a different heat source but, no time to experiment right now! Yes, Jol, it would have looked better if I had cut out around the bears head's with a jewelers saw or chiseled some of the brass away to create more definition but, that will have to be saved for the next one.

Rus_Sax_small_image_019.jpg

An overview of all the parts, at least, that are done. Still have a few to go.

Rus_Sax_small_image_018.jpg

Closeups of different parts of the sheath. Just like the originals, the design is different from side to side.

Rus_Sax_small_image_020.jpg

Rus_Sax_small_image_021.jpg

Rus_Sax_small_image_022.jpg

Rus_Sax_small_image_023.jpg

Here is the backside of the pommel plate, showing how I used a dremel to remove some material from the backside to aid in fit up (lots easier to only remove material at the edges, to flatten.) As a bonus, it gives more room for the epoxy and provides a stronger joint.

Rus_Sax_small_image_024.jpg

Same thing with the wood on the handle but, a little out of focus, sorry.

Rus_Sax_small_image_025.jpg

Next up, putting it all together!

~Bruce~

Pictures of the stamps, punches, and chisels, used. Mostly stuff I made, quite a few re-purposed concrete nails there! I wanted to make a better ring dot stamp (using the stamp here) but, the steel of the stamp was quite a different beast than thin, non-ferrous, sheet!

Rus_Sax_small_image_026.jpg

Test pieces. The triangle punch, with 3 dots inside, worked well on the thin, soft, copper and even the thicker copper but, not nearly so well on the brass I bought for the sheath. I annealed after stamping and before flattening but, in the future, I think I will anneal before stamping also.

Rus_Sax_small_image_027.jpg

~Bruce~

That pommel cap looks great,Bruce! As does the sheath...

Almost done! Too much snow on the ground to photograph in the good light outdoors so you will have to put up with lighting from a window.

Here is the pommel of the knife, in the sheath.

Rus_Sax_small_image_030.jpg

One side of the sheath.

Rus_Sax_small_image_028.jpg

The other side.

Rus_Sax_small_image_029.jpg

Here is a picture showing the welt of the sheath. I tried something that I saw on an artifact and added brass sheet into the welt. I assume this was done originally to help stiffen things up and to keep the rivets from crumpling into the leather instead of forming a head when you try to rivet them into place. I did not have a piece of brass long enough to do it in one piece and therefore used three. The welt has bumps where I overlapped the plates (not the brightest idea in hindsight.) I still had difficulties with the rivets crumpling but, using thicker sheet would probably solve the problem. I was using 1/16" brass rod for rivets and going to a larger diameter might also solve some problems.

Rus_Sax_small_image_031.jpg

The dye for the belt loops is drying and then I can put them on, do a final pouting of the sheath to the knife, dress the edges, seal the leather, sharpen the knife, and it will be done!

~Bruce~

Good job on the sheath, this type is trickier than it looks... I love the punched design. Yes, 1/16" rivets gave me hell on my first few of this type, switched to 3/32" rivets and it was so much easier, in fact I've never had another rivet problem once I switched.

Do you preform one side of the rivet before attaching it to the sheath?

George,

I will be switching to 3/32" for the rivets on the next one! Thank you for that, by the way.

Miles,

I use a little jig I made from two pieces of angle iron. Just some short sections, clamped together, with a shim between them, then drilled out to the size of the wire/rod. The shim is necessary so that the two pieces will clamp and hold the wire/rod when placed into a vise and tightened down. Then I can form the head on one side ahead of time. I could snap some pictures if you want, it is dirt simple. I was excited about this sheath because, it was ordered in brass, and my local Ace Hardware carries brass tacks, so I thought that I would not have to make all the rivets myself. When I went to buy them, they had discontinued them and no longer had any in stock. I could get them through the mail but, did not have time and it was too much of a hassle at that point.

~Bruce~

Edited by B. Norris

Finished!!!

Well, other than the lack of my makers mark due to the etching machine not working after the last knife. Grrrr. Thinking about moving to a stamp, the etched mark has been a bit of a hassle and looks out of place on the historically inspired pieces. Anyway, here are pictures.

Rus_Sax_small_image_039.jpg

Rus_Sax_small_image_038.jpg

Rus_Sax_small_image_037.jpg

Rus_Sax_small_image_034.jpg

Rus_Sax_small_image_036.jpg

Rus_Sax_small_image_035.jpg

Rus_Sax_small_image_033.jpg

Rus_Sax_small_image_032.jpg

~Bruce~

Edited by B. Norris

That really looks great Bruce, love the pommel cap! (I use the same angle iron jig for rivets, and use a hollowed post locked in a vise for doing the other side) thanks for the offer though, and the entertaining post, magnificent work!