Pocket Change Mokume, 2013 Christmas Edition

Christopher Price

I woo'd two women today.

Young enough to be my daughters.

In front of my wife.

Young women who serve as LDS missionaries, they've been over quite often lately, mostly checking on Carla. Upon discovering my talents out in the shop, they wanted to make time to see the magic happen. They get one day a week to attend to personal issues and have a little "free time" not focusing on church work, which was today... so I went ahead and took the day off, since I have 1000 other things to do in the shop as well as holidays approach.

We made necklace pendants, fusing 5 dimes for each, disrupting the surface with a rotary tool and forging back to flat. A little hammer work, a little grind, fold the top over to capture a 2mm leather cord, and finished by hand with paper and fine stones.

I used a Liver of Sulphur patina to color the materials once finished.

20131125152930-XL.jpg

The look on their faces was one their future boyfriends should be so lucky to see. You're welcome, young men of the world, I just raised the bar on you.

Edited by Christopher Price

The Tidewater Forge

Christopher Price, Bladesmith

Nice! (Would make a great guard!)

To become old and wise... You first have to survive being young and foolish! ;) Ikisu.blogsot.com. Email; milesikisu@gmail.com mobile: +27784653651

I love mokume-gane! You've reminded me that I need to get back to the shop. Blasted finger being all fractured :angry:

Seriously, pocket change well used!

John

Not all those who wander are lost. -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Nine Worlds Workshop-
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

I have had a number of Missionaries in the shop on P-day ( as they call it)

They have always been very attentive and thankfull.

Good on you Sir.

Daniel

WAXING MOON FORGE

The blacksmith and the artist

reflect it in their art

they forge their creativity

closer to the heart.

Rush

Neat! We uses to have good coins here, but now they're made of junk! I'll have to have a go at mokume soon!

To become old and wise... You first have to survive being young and foolish! ;) Ikisu.blogsot.com. Email; milesikisu@gmail.com mobile: +27784653651

• 1 month later...

I saw you do this several years ago, and because of that, the bolster and butt cap on my first 5 knives was coin mokume. I need to make some more. It is a versatile material and looks good. you do it well, too.

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

Thank you very much. There are quite a few people I've worked with, who have trouble with this. I can only reiterate that it's very careful observation and temperature control that makes it work, not pressure plates or bolts or hammer strength or any of that other stuff people use. No doubt there are other ways to skin the cat, but with this, the old technique of fusing seems to work best since the glue material must first be sweated from inside the coins themselves.

The Tidewater Forge

Christopher Price, Bladesmith