Nate Bocker

warning! graphic! use clamps whe operating a drill press

Heal fast and get well soon,it had to hurt lick a bitch,but I now from past experance the novacane hurt the most when they stitched you up, :o

heal up and thanks for the reminder. Like all, I too have taken this time-saver shortcut but was spared the maming.

Cheers

Well dammit, my KMG really bit me two days ago. Left middle finger is now tapered

to one side. :o Funny, it didn't hurt much, but it sure pissed me off. DUMB! Couldn't

even suture it. No skin left, right down into the meat at the end of the finger. A nasty

way to get some time off.

No little voice to warn me. Stay safe, folks.

Bill

Sometimes, we get the (mistaken) idea that safety equipment has to be store bought and/or expensive. You can use a couple pieces of scrap wood to build a guard (of sorts) to help prevent the workpiece from spinning on the drill press. It does not take anything special to make, it does not slow you down any when using the drill press (and thus you are less likely to decide to not use it,) it does not cost much if anything to build and, it will not take much time to make. Here is a picture, in use the board would be in contact with the column of the drill press, it is shown otherwise here.

DrillPressGuard.jpg

~Bruce~

Nate,

Take the time to heal...catch up on reading or design using your other hand.

I dislocated two fingers on a drill press some 16 years ago by not clamping a piece and wearing gloves...I feel I got off lucky.

Ric

Damn, that looks like a lesson you will never forget, and now we are all more aware of the need for better safety. I've admittedly been lucky a number of times, and if the chuck key for the press had sharp points on it I'd be dead already from it flying into me every time I get in a hurry and forget to remove it from the chuck.. May your healing go well!