• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Robert Burns

Wilderness Pack Axe

11 posts in this topic

I just finished up the second in my line of "Wilderness Axes" this one being a pack axe hence the name. This is a fun little axe and it was a fun project to make. Axes really do have their simple pleasures and they are fast to make too! In any case this axe was wrapped and welded with a 1084 bit to a mild steel body. The head measures 7 inches long with a 4 inch cutting edge. The handle is hickory and measures 19 inches long at 1.5 pounds. Unfortunately it started to rain before I was able to get any pictures of the axe with its sheath. Let me know what you think! Thanks for looking.

Robert Burns

IMG_2015_zpsa0e09865.jpg

IMG_2019_zpsbe17a0df.jpg

That looks great Robert! Lovely fit and finish. The geometry looks pretty good, the only critique I have to offer is that the bottom end of the cutting edge (the beard side) maybe should not be so far back towards the handle. This may be just personal prefrence though. :) Great axe!

Edited by N. Runals

Nice one.

Awesome work, man

Thanks everyone :) Nate, as far as the beard drop goes I'd probably like to bring it back some on the next one but having it swept in like that does make it helpful for carving projects like making bowls. The customer lows to carve and so I brought the beard down a bit more so he could more easily fit into tight spots. He is getting an adze as well so I think this will probably just be for clean up work/ large roughing out.