Surtur inspired blade.... ( future project)

So while doing some file work on another knife and listening to some music i was suddenly inspired. The song i was listing to is preformed by a swedish metal band called Amon Amarth very deep into viking mythology. The song was Destroyer of the universe and describes the giant surtur who rises from muspheliem to literally destroy the universe and wage war on the asgardians and such. So somehow or another it struck me that i must when i have the skills enough to forge a beautifully pattern welded viking blade themed and of course made to look as if it would be weilded by the mighty surt himself.

I'm thinking of some sort of flame like pattern for the blade as his sword is depicted as a flaming sword with blackened iron fittings and maybe some silver rune inlays fro contrast on the black fittings. What do you guys think any suggestions... ideas.

I also did some research on Surtur and such but if i'm wrong somewhere or anyone wants to chime in with more mytho knowhow that would be appreciated also i am in no position to start work on this blade now definitely a future project. I'll probably at some point put up some sketches but be warned not an artist but you guys should get the general idea.

P.S also have lots of research to do.

Edited by ShawnShaffer

I've been spending a lot of time recently pondering making my own interpretation of the sword of Surtur. The idea I had in mind was an explosion pattern on the edges with a serpent core, though mine is going to lean more towards a greatsword, and less of a true to history viking blade. My attempt at it is also a ways off, but I think it'd be great to see two smiths working on vastly dissimilar interpretations of the same mythical sword.

I expect you're well versed in creating complex pattern welded billets? A flame pattern sounds fairly challenging to create.

as a suggestion, I would let the fact that the sword is wielded by a giant weigh heavily on the project. Everything should have that "chunky" sort of look that a giant might favor. Also, maybe consider going with a single edge, like Albion's Berserker sword : http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/nextgen/sword-viking-berserkr.htm A giant would seem like someone with so much brute strength that a single edge sword would be a natural choice to take into battle.

I am not well versed in pattern welding wich is fine because this being a far off project it gives me plenty of time for practice. However the flaming pattern i was thinking some thing low layer to give that deep roaring overbearing firery look as to the more high layer count kinds. Also im still considering options on the actual construction of the blade and i thought it would be nice for me to do something traditional and historical as the two swords im working on now fall into the fantasy yet still practical area. I have one topic up about one of them. Anyway another reason i wanted to go a bit historical was the album art work of the band whose song inspired me honestly i think it fits quite well with a giant and how surtur is depicted. As i said ill put some sketches up soon. and if there are any smiths in the clarksville area that wouldnt mind showing me some welding basic thatd be nice to. : )

ok so my sketching sucks but at least i can clear things up and walk ya through. So despite the look of the sketch i was going for a more round tip as a giant probably wouldnt be to conserned about stabbing but more cleaving. Anyway i figured id go with a type g hilt as it doesnt look to fancy and to far ahead of my skills but also has room for inlay. I have a book with a set of runes but i know there are all sorts from different regions and there own uniqueness wich is why they are not on there but i was thinking on the guard area inscribing surtur and on the other side destroyer of the universe if i have room. Also long time ago i stumbled on the guys who made up the former mad dwarf workshop and there dwarven miner knife with its deep as crap etch and thought i could do the same for the hilt give it that volcanic rock look but this might ruin my chances of inlay. I also havent done detail on the actual pattern as im still looking for referances of fire patterns. For the actual grip i was thinking either a white oak with a light brown stain or bone of some sort give a nice contrast with the dark fittings.

Any suggestions welcome and fingers pointing in any direction for more info thanks

jhgoliuol 005.jpg

i am also liking your taste in music \m/, funny how metalworkers and metal music seem to go together so well

i think a very deep etch would look great, because it indeed does invoke a volcanic rock look.

i am less sure of the type g hilt, to my eyes it looks very organic fora god of destruction.

This reminds me of a similar style blade by David DelaGardelle. Seems pretty close to what you're trying for. Here's a few pics of it image.jpgimage.jpg

Trying to make each knife just a little better than the last

thanks guys it indeed seems funny how metal music and work just fit together and that right there would definitely be a giants sword. And karter you sir look like a viking in your picture there i miss my long hair but ill grow it out again my goal is to look like a 5' 9'' dwarf. Either way i digress i seem to be having trouble locating different types of pattern welds especially fire themed ones i know the fire explosion one but i was wondering are there any others possibly a lower layer count? i was thinking maybe a lower layer count might give a more distinctive flame look or am i just thinking to much.

P.S. dave and andy like many peeps are a big reason why im an aspiring bladesmith.

And karter you sir look like a viking in your picture there i miss my long hair but ill grow it out again my goal is to look like a 5' 9'' dwarf. Either way i digress i seem to be having trouble locating different types of pattern welds especially fire themed ones i know the fire explosion one but i was wondering are there any others possibly a lower layer count? i was thinking maybe a lower layer count might give a more distinctive flame look or am i just thinking to much.

Thanks :D Well I sure stand a monstrous 5'8" so I am more dwerrow-like than you( just joking ;) )

As for the pattern welding I would think having twisted bars with stars(i forget the term but they are so pretty) in placement rather numerously bunched by the tang and kind of dispersing and filtering as you move up the blade kind of like sparks from fire, and then gathering at the tip again maybe, and having a cable Damascus edge steel.

http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=18511&hl=%2Bpattern+%2Bwelded+%2Bviking if you look at this lovely post youll get what i mean by stars, but having smaller and more numerous twisted bars to look more fiery.

ill definately have to try tweaking these i believe the twisted one is called a chevron but don't hold me to it. im gonna try some smaller blades and see how these turn out and what i can tweak i may be able to tweak a random pattern to get a flaming look.

Mick Maxen does an incredible firestorm crushed w's pattern that I'll likely be using for the edge bars when I do my interpretation of the blade sometime next year.