SHEPHERDS KNIFE

Hi again everyone!

in this small mediteranean country called ''Greece'' , goat and sheep herds allways played an important role and a sepherd was a very common profession until a few decades ago.one of their most important tools was their knife.

i have never seen one from close distance so i searched and asked of how it should look like.

the shape was very common all over Balkans and similar to the Otoman Bicak knives.

i forged three to get used to the form.the first two are forged from bearings and the third from a leafspring i wanted to test the steel

DSC02397_zps6bf5fcb6.jpg

DSC02395_zps9b3a7e50.jpg

after filing and polishing, heat treating the bearing blades

DSC02481_zps2a03ce77.jpg

DSC02482_zps56ce7536.jpg

polishing again and bath in ferik chloride

DSC02535_zps85e8a382.jpg

DSC02536_zpsc2b3c40a.jpg

one blade is ready and going for the handle

DSC02542_zps00122ab7.jpg

DSC02543_zpsd7910184.jpg

DSC02540_zps1d7cc0a8.jpg

DSC02545_zpscf6a31b0.jpg

strawberry tree for handle

DSC02537_zps110889bc.jpg

DSC02546_zpsf0598a26.jpg

and the first one is ready

DSC02552_zpsf444f153.jpg

DSC02548_zpsb46663d9.jpg

DSC02550_zpsd7c1208a.jpg

DSC02549_zps0baf90ad.jpg

sorry if there are too many pics

thank you.

going for the other two now :)

Beautiful work, Krateros! I love the traditional flow of the handles. Someday I need to make a little tour around Greece to visit the bladesmiths and soak up some heritage.

But I have the same question as Caleb! What is strawberry wood??

Is this possibly the species you are referring to? I did some research, and this is the closest I could find. I also saw a lot of pipes made from "strawberry wood" but I couldn't find what species that meant. Is Arbutus or Madrono wood used in pipes, too?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbutus

Thanks everyone!!!!

Beautiful work, Krateros! I love the traditional flow of the handles. Someday I need to make a little tour around Greece to visit the bladesmiths and soak up some heritage.

But I have the same question as Caleb! What is strawberry wood??

unfortunately there are no profesional bladesmiths leaft to visit in Greece.i have never met a bladesmith nor blacksmith here only a few amateur like me.

strawberry tree is '' arbutus unedo'' and it is very common in mediteranean countries. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbutus_unedo

I would like to know what the other item in the picture is? The "cane" looking item with the carved snakes.

the carved item is the shepherds walking stick and had many uses.

Very impressive work, Krateros. I love all three blades, your forging and the hamon. Never seen a handle with a 'split' butt like that. You do nice work!

Dave

Thank you very much gentlemen!realy apreciate your coments!!!

Very impressive work, Krateros. I love all three blades, your forging and the hamon. Never seen a handle with a 'split' butt like that. You do nice work!

Dave

thank you very much Dave!the V shaped handles probably came to the Balkans and Greece from the east with the Ottomans.bicak and yatagan have similar handle shape and also the Cretan dagger and shepherd knives all over Greece.

strawberry trees(arbutus unedo) have very tasty fruits that can also make marmelades and even drinks.i have no idea if the wood can be used in pipemaking!

Those are great looking knives. Something to be proud of. Does the split handle design help the shepard in any way or is it simply a favored design?

very nice work. Beautiful all around. I love the look of a strong edge quench. What did you etch the blade in? Very nice grainy effect...

Those are great looking knives. Something to be proud of. Does the split handle design help the shepard in any way or is it simply a favored design?

thank you!i do not know if the gap between the scales on the back serves some purpose but i know the widening on the end prevents the knife from sliping backwards when hands are bloody,sweaty etc.i have seen it a lot in old butcher knives.

very nice work. Beautiful all around. I love the look of a strong edge quench. What did you etch the blade in? Very nice grainy effect...

thank you Scott!i etced the blade in ferric chloride 2 times.one for about 15 minutes then washing cleaning with steelwool and then back in ferric chloride for 25 minutes.i noticed that if the blade is cleaned after the first etc and etced again, gives this grainy look to 52100 bearings.

I had to come back and take another look. :-)

I love the yataghan blade. Probably one of my favorite blade profiles in the world..but I've never loved the traditional y-shaped grip design. But your take on it would look wonderful on a modern interpretation. You may have just caused a yataghan to be born.

I had to come back and take another look. :-)

I love the yataghan blade. Probably one of my favorite blade profiles in the world..but I've never loved the traditional y-shaped grip design. But your take on it would look wonderful on a modern interpretation. You may have just caused a yataghan to be born.

take a look on that ''knife'' http://www.troktikaras.com/1980/09/blog-post_9693.html (i can't copy just the image of the knife.inside the article there is a big knife)

i was based on that handle for the carving in shepherds knife.this is the knife of a very famous ''bandit'' who was killed in 1925.

Edited by Krateros