Sveinn Kallinen

Probably the most silly forging information ever

Dood. I can see I need to raise my prices. :huh:

If you weren't able to see the vid in the original post before it was taken down. I am temporarily hosting a version of it HERE.

The editing on this version was done by Fluffy himself and is freely posted on his website, so I do not believe there is any issue with doing this, but I intend to remove the vid after a month or whenever this thread gets moldy...

James

Geeze.. THanks alot..I laughed so hard I wet meself..

Man alive...anyone that forges an edge bevel like that on the flat face of an anvil is looking to ruin that anvil. I don;t care how long you have been swinging a hammer..one mis-strike and you could beat up the face. Now I use my "packing hammer" which is a modified 4# cross pein with one rounded and one crowned face tro form edges on most everything I do blade-wise...and I do that with the edge riding the abvil's face edge so if I do make a mistake..then no harm done to the face...

Never saw burning water before, but that could be an error in editing the video with the narrative, still it is a MAJOR error..then again, there are a few of those in there as well...

Oh geeze this was a funny video..sad thing is...99% of folks "out there" wil believe it cause they saw it on TV... just as old PT Barnum said...just goes to show what can be sold with a great speil....

Geeze..

JPH

Edited by JPH

I hate to admit that the first time I saw this i believed it, but I was young and still had a good few years before I even considered blade smithing. Now that I more or less know what is going on I see how much bull was being said in the video. And that is just from memory as all versions of the video have been removed even from "fluffy's" website

Wow. Just...wow.

I remember seeing this video awhile ago when I was just starting out and not understanding why his information didn't correlate with all the other information I was researching/learning at the time from so many other established bladesmiths. It's sad to see that his propaganda made it onto national television.

Edited by Andrew Hardesty

If you want something a bit less technical, this might be the one for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Buple77F5Eo

Watch a brand new, store bought hot-cut destroyed in record time.

Kinda funny how Angelsword website "points" to the far that S7 will hold an edge better than anythign else... Sad that people don't know one steel from another these days...

"as dave quenches the blade in ICE COLD water to make his super steel sword"

so flaming quench outta ice cold water huh, miraculous

that was painfullllllll.. but like a train wreck I couldn't stop watching ... I didnt think it was possable to be worse than fuffly ... I was wrong..

MP

I didn't make it a full 60 seconds before I stopped watching.

What I found particularly disturbing, was how much he looked like David Lisch........

Edited by Joshua States

That was excruciating. I think I might actually be a worse person after watching it.

I could have rewatched some of the artic fire videos in the time I spent watching that guy :(

Y'all realize when you watch these videos, you are promoting them to the rest of the world. As the watched numbers go up, so does the relevance in searches. And at some point you help make them money.

Mr. Boggs, is right folks.

Edited by Donnie

If you weren't able to see the vid in the original post before it was taken down. I am temporarily hosting a version of it HERE.

The editing on this version was done by Fluffy himself and is freely posted on his website, so I do not believe there is any issue with doing this, but I intend to remove the vid after a month or whenever this thread gets moldy...

James

in this comment ^

Just curious. Where do yall see the black iron pipe handles. I want to see one.

Here you are. First sword I ever made. Mild steel blade, drill tooth (probably the best steel in the whole thing) for a guard, WITH the blade welded right to the guard, pipe for the handle, and the bottom of a chair leg for the pommel.

My%20First%20Sword_zps9ovqlnh9.jpg

Oh, wait, never mind. It's galvanized pipe, not black iron. My bad. :)

This uhhhh...beauty...hangs on the wall of my shop as a reminder of where I started. Way back when I was seventeen and the local library had *1* single, solitary book on knife making, via good ol' stock removal. But, like my mentor always tells me, I have a habit of jumping off the deep end when I can barely dog paddle.

It's ugly as all get out, but (and I was told it's because of the different types of steel I used), if you whack it with a hammer, it makes the most beautiful ring, just like a bell.

I can honestly say, it must be because I use hard water, but I've never had my water catch fire before. And I want "spiral grooves like inside the barrel of a gun" (I always thought "rifling" was a helluva lot easier to say) in my blade, too!

Edited by Buck Hedges

As many of you know....

I was once his apprentice.

I will not defend a man who can perfectly defend himself. Especially if he is the one who got himself into it. I truly do believe, we dig our own holes.

All that said, I don't know why they called it "ice cold water"? Back when I was there it was motor oil... My God, that motor oil quench pipe is still there! and the shop still looks the same!

After I left... I swore I would never pick up a hammer and use an anvil again.

I spent a long time unlearning what I learned....

-Gabriel