I got bit..

JPH

Hello:

Well..ya know..you violate one of the "cardinal rules" of bladesmithing and sometimes you get away with it...most times you don't.

I am out of the loop for a while...was fitting a blade/habaki to a siya and well..it "hung up" for a moment and dunderheaded me forced it and well...my thumb got in the way...here is the result..4 internal sutures to put the tendon back together ant two external ones to keep me from leaking all over.

Funny thing is..my first concern was to wipe off the blade cause it was a totally 100% fresh polish. Blood would ruin it if it was left on for any length of time..but it had a nice coat of my favourite snake oil..Ballistol on it...and even better..it's anti-spetic so...no need to worry much about rust if I did a good wipe down..

Well I looked at it and really couldn't move my thumb all that well..so I guessed that it was a bit more serious than some cyanoacrylate, neosporin and a band-aid...Now the Missus nearly passed out cause I was leaking pretty good..so I wrapped a shop towel around it and drove myself down to the local Urgent Care and got myself looked at..

Well the needle they used for the lidocaine hurt a bunch more than the original boo-boo did...and an hour and a half later this is what I got..This was taken last night..stings a bit...

So words to those who do this stuff..don't force anything... cause if you do...you'll be sorry..

Needless to say I will be out of work for a few days...and the Christmas orders are waiting..oh well...Life happens...

As I haver always said :"That which does not kill me..p*sses me off"....

JPH

DSC00095.jpg

Edited by JPH

If you wish to know the price of freedom..Visit a Veteran's Hospital...I am humbled by their sacrifice... 

Why is it when the Mighty Thor throws his hammer he is dispensing Justice and fighting Evil..BUT..when I throw my hammer I wind up in a mandatory 16 week anger management course??</p>

I came into this world naked, screaming and covered in someone else's blood...I have no problem going out the same way...

It's all fun until...

I have a really pesky internal TV that shows me graphic images of all the ways the stupidity I am about to embark upon could possibly end.

It is a surprisingly accurate pesky internal TV too.

It finally dawned on me... when the TV turns on, stop and rethink what your about to do! -_-

One of these days I will remember to implement that sunrise...

Heal well and completely Jim, I still haven't saved up enough to come annoy you for a month or two. <_<

James

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. Except a creature be part coward it is not a compliment to say it is brave. ~Mark Twain

SageBrush BladeWorks (New website is in limbo...)

That hurts my thumb just looking at it . Speedy recovery , and don't bump it on nothing ! <Grins>

Sam

Robert D. Yates , 13 & On Forge

Yeah..I got me a good one..and I am bumping it and pranging it on a regular basis..and it is still a tad bit tender and making its displeasure known...

I will say that this was a first for the Dr that sewed me up..first time he ever treated a sword wound....

Well..back to feeling sorry for myself...at least I can get some writing done...

JPH (I still feel like and idiot for being such a blockhead...)

If you wish to know the price of freedom..Visit a Veteran's Hospital...I am humbled by their sacrifice... 

Why is it when the Mighty Thor throws his hammer he is dispensing Justice and fighting Evil..BUT..when I throw my hammer I wind up in a mandatory 16 week anger management course??</p>

I came into this world naked, screaming and covered in someone else's blood...I have no problem going out the same way...

hay Uncle Jimmy, at least your not changing your name to lefty or bill herndon ....yet (Mike pulls a duck and run from uncle jimmy)

any cut needing sewn is bad tendons needing stictched up is worse

I have little doubt that thumb will be in the way for a while , could have been worse

~M~

Member:

Cal Knives

Practioner:

Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

That hurts my thumb just looking at it . Speedy recovery , and don't bump it on nothing ! <Grins>

Sam

are you kidding JPH will beat that thumb like it owes him money !!

Member:

Cal Knives

Practioner:

Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo

Jol:

Ok what about "knarly" or "hairy"?? That work for ya?? Geeze I am dating myself...

Grooovey man....grooooovey...

JPH

Remember Charley don't surf....

I got a pretty good burn on a bit of tattoo the other day, but it wasn't as bad as the cuts going 'round, though touching it up might prove as expensive as getting stitches! ;)

Something in the air...

Jol:

Sorry to hear that you burned some of your ink..I am "Ink Free" as it goes against my faith...I can imagine that the cost of getting your tat repaired would be much more than the $80.00 co-pay I had to shell out thanks to the changes that the ACA did to us Vets....Use to be..when you are retired like I am..we show up..we get treated...Alas, Forlorn, Alaska...NOT any more...

Sorry to hear that happened...hope ,the repair is a successful...

JPH

Edited by JPH

hay Uncle Jimmy, at least your not changing your name to lefty or bill herndon ....yet (Mike pulls a duck and run from uncle jimmy)

any cut needing sewn is bad tendons needing stictched up is worse

I have little doubt that thumb will be in the way for a while , could have been worse

~M~

OK for those of us that somehow missed the point of reference to Bill Herndon (like me :unsure: )

http://www.blademag.com/blog/knife-of-the-day-xx-bills-knee-knife

James

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. Except a creature be part coward it is not a compliment to say it is brave. ~Mark Twain

SageBrush BladeWorks (New website is in limbo...)

OK for those of us that somehow missed the point of reference to Bill Herndon (like me :unsure: )

http://www.blademag.com/blog/knife-of-the-day-xx-bills-knee-knife

James

ok James, its more of the fact Bill has "knicked" himself countless times , hell I didnt even know about the knee cap inlay blade

Im lucky that My Mentor is good friends with both Bill and JPH I get insider stories =X. in either case I expect a palm from uncle Jimmy at some point...................................

~M~

Member:

Cal Knives

Practioner:

Suio Ryu Iai Kenpo