Katana -- folded steel with mounts

Walter Sorrells

Just finished this shinogi-zukuri katana.  It was forged from thousand layer forge-welded steel made from 1050 and 1095.

I kind of put the brakes on mounting for a few years, but now I'm back to it again and really enjoying it.  I did the mount from the ground up including all the fittings -- fuchi-kashira, menuki, tsuba, seppa, shitodome, etc.  The scabbard was lacquered with nitrocellulose lacquer -- a dark red I mixed, then a few layers of clear coat, then 23 karat gold foil, then four or five more layers of clear.  Buffalo horn koiguchi and kurigata.  The handle was wrapped using all the normal traditional materials -- manta ray skin, silk braid, etc.

dw final-2 small.jpg dw final-7 small.jpg dwendel kat-5 small.jpg dwendel kat-9 small.jpg

Check out Walter's instructional videos:

Forging Japanese Style Blades

Making Hamons

Japanese Sword Mounting

Polishing

Making Japanese Sword Fittings

www.waltersorrellsblades.com

Gorgeous! Absolutely stunning!

To become old and wise... You first have to survive being young and foolish! ;) Ikisu.blogsot.com. Email; milesikisu@gmail.com mobile: +27784653651

What a beautiful sword. I am glad that you returned to doing fittings, as those are gorgeous too. The red lacquer and gold leaf look so good together.

“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer."  -Albert Camus

http://www.krakenforge.net/

That is a magnificent blade....wonderful.

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

walter - I missed this somehow. Very nice. I love the effects of the subtle contrast steels.

glad you have found some excitement in fittings again. coming back to something can be a blast after some time away. A little change keeps the skills sharp.

kc

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs