Sign in to follow this  
kibuddha4

Need help with ridgeline

I know that I'm going to be laughed at but here goes. I have just started to smith and need a lot of practice. I have bought The Complete Bladesmith by Jim Hrisoulas, and have been following that. But I cannot get a very good ridgeline on any of my blades. I can shape to a fair degree and my heat treatment has turned out better than I hoped, just can't get a ridgeline. Please help.

I meant bevel line. sorry. Just doing knives. Mostly drop point hunters.

Practice Practice Practice...

whilst I'm aware that my advice may sound odd to you, it is still the only advice I can give... besides: if you have the chance to watch an experienced craftsman working, do so... it can teach a lot.

however... try to improve your forging skills and take your time...

Don't despair- it took me about 5 years before I got anything resembling a decent ridgeline while forging a blade.

Oh and I guess nobody is actually laughing... as we all have once been there :)

thanks guys. I do have some good news though my last knife I just finished has a bevel. Would love to show you a picture but somone already bought it. In my opinion it isn't that good but the buyer said he liked it anyway.

KIBUDDHA4: We need to know what kind of sander/grinder you are working with.

Always grind with the edge up. Make a grinding stick from 1/2" by 1 1/2" by about four inches long. I leave about a 3/16" ledge sticking out at the bottom, to rest the spine of my blade on. I place the stick about mid-way on the blade and put the tang in the other hand. I will lock my elbows against my sides and use my hips and legs to pull the blade back and forth on the sander. making sure the blade stays level at all times. The knifemaker that showed me, called this a belly grind. If you grind edge up and keep it level you will develop a grind-line and soon learn to control where it goes.. I do not use any braces , platforms or guides. Just free hand, then you will be able to do any grind you want.

Good-luck

Chuck

Chuck, do you have any photos of your set up? your description sounds like something I could use.

Sign in to follow this