tsykes

p2 improving the pulaski

The Pulaski is a amazing tool and has performed as well for almost a 100 years. My input to this tool is minimal, but will improve the overall utility of the tool. The new designed rooting and grubbing cutting blade will enable the user to cut thru roots and subterranean mass without using the bit ax.

Heat Treated ASTM A958 SC4340 chromoly steel, allowing the cutting head to hold and edge while providing enough ductility to avoid breakage.

Heat treatment: austenitized, quenched and tempered

Hardeness: 460-495 HBW_MG_0018-2.jpg

2014 Changes

We have contracted with Spokane Industries to cast the P2 as an investment casting using 4145 Chromoly Steel. The preliminary heat treat tests are between 50-55 HRC.

Edited by tsykes

Good choice of alloy for an axe (or Pulaski!).

So, from what I can see, all you did was sharpen the poll under the grubbing blade? I can see the usefulness in doing that, but it looks like a pretty obtuse bevel from that one photo. For that matter, I'd prefer a lower angle for the edge bevel on the grubbing blade as well. It'll get dull on its own fast enough, speaking from experience. I realize it's a simple matter of a few minutes with a file for the end user, just thinking out loud.

Oh, and welcome aboard!

If it was slightly serrated, would it cut better when levering the grubbing blade under a root?