Heartwood bushcraft knife

Guest guest T

Guest guest T

I made this knife for my dad. I left all of the hand filing marks but polished it. The handle is purple heartwood treated with linseed oil after sanding to 1000 grit. I have no idea how I got the middle pin so far off of the center of the handle. 1519499_569849856418172_1145411820_o.jpg

1532109_569849889751502_290114752_o.jpg

1496558_569850009751490_1880616379_o.jpg

1534842_569849913084833_822570123_o.jpg

Coming along there,Tre! But I think you should work on finishing the blade, get it good and smooth, you don't need a mirror polish, but it looks beter if you get rid of the tool marks(I've managed to misalign pins on many occasions!) All the best M

Good looking piece. Leaving the file marks can be "artistic" if done right. If you can take the wood to 1000-grit, you can take the blade to 400. Pin problems haunt even the best makers. I'm convinced that pinstock has gremlins in it just to mess up your work at the last minute.

Is that something with the picture/camera or is there some copper on the blade? It sure makes it pop out. I like the effect of having that copper hint in there.

Study up on "draw filing". Learn it and it will revolutionize your finishing skills.

Keep up the good work.

I have to agree with the general consensus and say that I think your knife would look much better without the tool marks. The handle is good, and the blade shape is good as well, so I think that a satin or patina'd finish would look really good. Draw file, and then sand out to 400, alternating directions, and that will produce a nice smooth finish that is not too shiny.

Good work otherwise.

Edited by Wes Detrick

Id venture to say just about all of us have misplaced a pin, I know Im WAY guilty of it!!!

I agree with miles, getting a finish isnt the easiest thing in the learning curve ,

overall its a solid looking knife, that any dad would be proud to own

~M~

I agree with drawfiling. Quick to pick up, and it works like a charm. And for sandpaper, the trick is to make sure you have all the scratches out from the previous grit before going higher.

I say that like it's oh so easy and I do it all the time. :rolleyes:

Oh, and it's great to see another teen on here.

Greg

Edited by Greg C.

I think the handle looks really good, it's not easy to get perfect alignment. As far as the blade itself, I think you could spend a little more time smoothing it out. Unless you are going for the rough and rustic look. You may want to invest in an angle grinder and use an abrasive flap wheel. Dewalt sells a 7 amp model for about $70. A good tool for the price for someone stating out. Good luck and keep at it