Sign in to follow this  
ShawnShaffer

more LOTR inspired ideas

watching and reading the lord of the rings again and i am now in the mood to make several things. 1 pipes... ( again ) 2. kitchen utensils and other assorted useful wares. I was wondering however what would be the best metals to use for say kitchen knives or say something like a large spoon ladle and such. all i got is mystery scrap and a bunch of leaf springs. Also wondering if anybody here can share a few tips on pipe making got plenty of corn cobs to use was thinking on using some of those.

Thanks and much appreciated

Anything that doesn't need to hold an edge can be made of mild steel. You could do a ladle out of light sheet steel with a forged and riveted handle. Old saw blades (rip saws, crosscut saws, not circular saw blades) make for good kitchen knives.

For pipes, you'll have to wait for those guys to weigh in, that's more of specialty item.

Geoff

If they're BIG corncobs they'll work. Just hollow 'em out, leaving some core wall, drill a hole in from the side at the bottom of your chamber, and stick a bit of rivercane in and you're done. If they're too porous, you can do what Missouri Meershaum does and seal 'em with plaster of paris and shellac.

For real briar pipes, www.pipemakersforum.com and the pipemaker's emporium have all you need to know. It can be intimidating, you've been warned! B)

thanks gentlemen ive tried making a pipe before but i used a real hard oak of some sort ugliest little thing but did the job, any tips for hollowing out a long bent stem love the churchwardens. Also i was wondering about what i could use to seal the metal for the ladles and other assorted cookware against rusting and make them ok for use.

For long bent stems, you drill 'em straight and then steam-bend them if wood, use heat if plastic.

On the cookware, think of it like seasoning cast iron. Set your oven on 350 and coat them with crisco or similar, bake an hour, do not put them in the dishwasher. Or just get hold of some 304 stainless and forge them out of that.

thanks that is helpful definately know what you mean about seasoning half my family is old southern folk and its almost all cast iron cook ware. would soaking the wood for a day or to maybe only a feew hours due to them being small have the same effect. i did research on making bows and that method was mentioned for people who dont have a way to steam?

Depends on the wood. Ash sapling yes, rivercane no. If you can find a new branch of white ash about 3/8" diameter while it's green, you can push out the pith in the middle with a coat hanger wire and tie it to a board in the bend you want, and when it's seasoned in a year or so it will stay bent. If it's already seasoned, you can soak it in hot water in a length of pipe for a few hours and it might work, or steam it in the same pipe (using tubing and a pressure cooker with the valve removed, or as Brandon said a teakettle, as the steam boiler) for five minutes and it will work. If you use cane or bamboo it has to be steamed for a long time before it will stay bent. One of my cane-stemmed pipes actually straightened back out after being smoked for a few years...

well again thank you gentlemen i have plenty of ideas and i intend on putting up pic of the projects as i complete them.

i shal have a few pictures of what i have gotten done lately but ive also been busy with work 70 - 80 hurs for 2 weeks striaght and looks to be another 2 weeks of the same. Mr. Geoff if i may i cant seem to get to any old saw blades nor new for that matter i have on the other hand an abundance of 5160 would that due or are there more available sources / steels?

5160 is good stuff for kitchen knives, maybe not quite good as 1080, IMHO, but works just fine. Remember, kitchen knives are best when thin.

BTW, I just sent this from my new tablet, pretty cool.

Geoff

Now I'm jealous,Geoff! Have you tried uploading a photo yet?

that is indeed cool but sadly i am very tech impaired. I've got 2 ladles or large spoons done need to get the kitchen knives made up the pipe project ill need to get some briar or other assorted hard wood suitable. i should at least by this weekend hopefully have the spoons up.

So had a lot go on and haven't been at the forge for a while got caught up in work and then a new job and blah blah blah. However i have been able to get a project i don't believe we could have any lotr themes without the mead so i started a batch and here is the recipe so far and a few pictures.

6 pounds of honey... 3 pounds of saw palmetto and 3 wild flower i added about 1/2 cups sugar flieschmanns bread yeast 1 packet and a box of raisins.

This was a recipe that i got from the internet off a homebrew forum and worked out well the last 2 times the 2 different types of honey is my variation tho and im using a plastic tea dispensing jug with a heavy lid and let it burp itself as i cant quite find my airlock stopper but its coming along good anyway.

0226141729a_0001.jpg

0226141729.jpg

Shawn, where do you live live you are using N. Ft.Myers honey? I'm out in La Belle.,I'll have to try that recipe!

Fred

I live in Mid Tennessee just 5 mins from Ft Campbell army post there was a little indoor flea market that was goin under and 8 bucks for 3 pounds of honey wasn't gonna pass it up specially when 2 pounds anywhere else runs me 10 to 12. Also am a big pipe and cigar smoker and found a shop tailored specifically to such taste and they have unfinished briar blocks for pipe making really cheap so i should have that to add on here soon as well.

P.S. and yeah it is ft myers honey

Edited by ShawnShaffer

Cool , boy that honey really gets around!