back in October My club held its meeting at Bill Herndons shop, I welded up a san mai billit from 1095, banding and a solid core , I thought was 1095 or O1 , well it welded great in Bill's 50ton press , but My hammer skill lack and the stack shifted when I was drawing it out

so the core shifted in a odd twist of about 1/8th of a twist.

this past sunday , I went to the Stroman forge and got the blank just short of heat treat

seems the core has hardened enuff to resist a HSS drill so I'll be useing carbide drill that I have in My toolbox at work =( after the first. the blank is fulley ground and lightly etched to show the pattern a bit

in the pic you can see the 1/8th hole half through the handle

the blade is a flat grind starting just a tad infront of the halfway point of the fingergroove, the handle has a slight distill taper from that point to the butt.

the core show itself on the other side just at the ridge line.

I'll post pics when its done

as always feel free to comment , wisecracks,insults, kinky one liners,and seax-fiend remarks are welcome

Mike

PS: to all My Fourm Board brothern thank you for allowing Me here and allowing My posts and pics

Im very honored and humbled to be part a such a skilled and supportive group

happy new years and peace love and good happiness stuff to you all!!!!!!

Tweeked SanMai.jpg

Mike, I dig that shape! You should try annealing after forgeing, as the steel is allready hot, and so is the forge! Use slowest drill speed and a cutting/drilling fluid, I don't, high performance motor oil does me well! (10/W40) always have leftover from servicing my bike, sharpen drill bits as well! This goes through 300 series stainless with ease! Waiting to see the handle that blade deserves...maybe widen the finger groove a little? All the best for the new year!

Nice one mike! Bummer about the billet twisting on you but from this side it till has a nice look with that layer moving along the blade.

@ Caleb Im just out of time ,I have 8 twisty dags needing tempering ahead of this piece....................................................

@ Donnie , thank you and trust Me I will post finished pic , this is one of My better grinds!

@ Miles I spot annelled the drill area thats what those funky spots are also had a new TiN drill and high end cutting fluid

I'll try the motor oil great tip thanks, will use gaboon ebony ,black paper micarta or flamed maple with saddle tan leather dye , that finished out alot like aqua fortis in any case I will post

@dave I hope to see you at the club meeting in january and yes its a bummer, I'll make more at some point I'll get one right <weg>

Hi Mike,

I like the shape on this.looking forward to seeing what you come up with for a handle

Oh almost forgot..Happy New Year mate

Edited by Rob Toneguzzo

I like the shape of this knife,what are you going to do for a handle Mike...

@ Cook, I have some gaboon ebany, possible a curly maple with a alcohl leather dye in saddle tan (looks like a muzzle loader stock,) or maybe coriain., Iv been wanting to use moose horn (makes nice scales) but will most likely stick to somthing I have on hand

this blade MUST be finished as I bumped the 60 grit belt I was ruffing on and put a nasty divit across the top of My left pointer finger

, put a nasty matching groove in the bandaid on the same finger shortly after I went back to grinding <LOL>

~M~

they sure can Miles, and grinder wheels and scotch brith wheels too...................................

My Mentor Bill claimed He saved My life by not giving Me a brand new belt <LOL>

~M~