Rob Toneguzzo

Any Archers out there?

Not exactly along the lines of what you guys do but I regularly enjoy shooting an Olympic-style recurve bow.

GMX.JPG

Not exactly along the lines of what you guys do but I regularly enjoy shooting an Olympic-style recurve bow.

yH5BAEAAAEALAAAAAAIAAoAAAISTIBmoLy9XDqyxGMX.JPG

No matter what type of archery you are into you can never go wrong with Hoyt Jesus..that's a sweet looking bow..what distance do you shoot?

I shoot FITA regulations. Indoor season is 18 meter at a 40 cm face. Outdoor season 30 m and 50 m at an 80 cm face and 70 m and 90 m at a 120 cm face. At 90 m the size of the gold ring is 12 cm.

Cool bows folks!

Bow hunter here, a few forays into wheelbows over the years but mostly stickbows.

Between bows currently, another flatbow in the works and Scott has got me playing with the PVC stuff also.

Also have a period crossbow in construction, for hunting next season.

Hi Rob, used to, but broke my left wrist and right shoulder dropping a motorcycle while avoiding a disorientated motorist! May start again soon with a less powerfull bow, there's a great boyer not far from me * bit pricey though!

i have a tatar style recurve bow, which is made of fiberglass but it looks real nice and was quite affordable.

i used tobe in a archery club, but i am totally non-competative, so i got bored of it and left.

i must admi that i haven't shot my bow in ages, because all my arrows are broken, and i dont have a good target to shoot at.

as far as i know you can't really bow hunt in the netherlands, but doing some bowhunting is defenitely on my bucket list.

i have a quiver made out of old jeans, and it is indeed handy, i can even fit my bow in it, and sling it over my shoulder.

the pockets i use for my gloves i need because my bow has no arrow nock. (everyone at the archery club thought i was crazy, shooting with a medieval bow B) )

sorry for the phone pics, but i don't have a better camera at hand now.

IMG-20140104-00099_zps2b3b9a22.jpg

IMG-20140104-00100_zpsdcd897a0.jpg

Got a 55 lb Martin longbow somewhere in storage. Now I wanna pull it out!

Have you guys seen the books by Nicholas Tomihama?

He used to make wood bows ( even wrote a book to help beginning bowers ), but when marriage and a kid made money even tighter, he started making bows out of PVC pipe and he is getting fairly good results, with several bows in the #35 to #50 range and at least one bow in the #75 range - including several take down bows and PVC pipe Horse Bows. I have talked a couple of times with him, and he is all for making archery affordable.

Here is his Amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Nicholas-Tomihama/e/B004Q2LJLM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

Great to see so many fellow archers..there really is some cool gear you guys use..I really like your bow Pieter.

Jesus 12 cm at 90 meters is a small target.. A lot of factors would come into play at that distance.

I a mostly a hunter..or was...seems my time has shifted to bladesmithing these days but I do love the bow..such an ancient weapon which has survived in its many , many forms is just cool.

I've got an old Ben Pearson 45# recurve that's a lot of fun to shoot, I just haven't done so in a few years. A longbow is on the list for one of these days, and I'd really like it to be like Mick's Bonkers. That was too cool!

I used to be into archery alot when I was younger. I have been getting into it more lately and even built a few bows.

This one was for my wife who decided she wanted to start shooting with me. 66" reflex/deflex longbow 35# @ 24"

2013010100420948.th.jpg

I also have an old Indian archery recurve and a Ben Pearson "collegiate"

I'm trying to make some of my own arrows. Luckily there is a lot of bamboo down by the river, so I got a few stalks, cut and straightened them.image.jpg

Some lovely equipment here guys. Mick that longbow is a thing of beauty.

Hi Mick,

Love the "Bonkers" bow. I have a knotty osage flat bow that I made years ago that I dug out today with the idea of working it down to something an old man with bad shoulders can pull. The bowyersdiary site you mentioned is really worth reading.

Think about visiting this June,

Hank

I have several, all "primitives". One I bought, it was made by a local maker 30 odd years ago, English yew with horn tips with just a bit of recurve in the tips. About 60#. One was made by my Lady Wife's first husband. It's a beast, about a 70# throw and made from vine maple. I also bought a pair of 30# from a local maker who makes simple bows. These are both ash and bamboo. I can shoot all day with them!

Geoff

Hickory flat/longish bow here, bought it roughed out and finished it. Came out a bit twisted just like me :) I blame the parents lol. Kids have a PSE buckeye in a 15 lb draw. And I am officially our 4H club's archery and rifle instructor. here is a shot of my bow and a arrow I made.

bow.JPG

Here are a few longbows of mine. The one on the left is made by Hillary Greenland and the mad looking yew bow on the right was made by a friend of mine by the name of Del Hutchison. He has an interesting site called bowyers diary where he documents all his bow making activities, successes and failures including this bow.

2-bows_zpsfa7d6387.jpg

The Greenland bow is a superb 4 laminate bow of Bamboo, Purpleheart, Pequia and Lemonwood and is 50lbs at 26",

bow-3_zps8db42415.jpg

Del's bow is superbly brilliant and 45lbs at 28". Called Bonkers and puts a smile on everyones face with its quirkyness and bendyness. Here are a few more photos,

2-handles_zps6c76fb49.jpg

It has 3 patches and 5 repairs to knot holes,

bendy-bow_zpsf50efaaf.jpg

patch_zps9fd1ffe9.jpg

patch2_zps0f9dc4b0.jpg

Oh, and a hole,

bow-hole_zps499c9786.jpg

The Greenland bow has horn nocks and the yew bow has self nocks,

two-nocks_zps3acad2fc.jpg

Looking at the bow you would think it would shoot arrows around corners, but it is a joy to use and quick. The photo below is a group of 3 arrows from about 30 feet. The Post-It note is 3" square,

3-arrows_zpse1be81f4.jpg

Rob, thats a fine looking quiver. I will make one of those for when I go to a roving shoot next as I think having it slung over your shoulder will be more comfortable than a side quiver. The last one I went to was held at Windsor Great Park with about 100 archers all shooting the longbow. I don't know how many miles we walked, but what a brilliant day out

Mick.

Mick.. both of these bows are wonderful but that yew bow is a treasure. If I ever get a stave like that I will get back into bowyering briefly...

Here are a few I've made:

_SAR0088.jpg

DSC00876.jpg

DSC00878.jpg

DSC00882.jpg

_SAR0001.jpg

DSC00963.jpg

DSC00968-1.jpg

Very nice bows Scott. Love the bamboo backing, I'll be trying my hand putting one of these together this year sometime.

Very nice bows Scott. Love the bamboo backing, I'll be trying my hand putting one of these together this year sometime.

Dave.. they are a great way to get into making bows. Pretty easy to tiller and probably the most performing traditional bow you can make.

Great thread guys!

My girls started shooting last year so I built a range for them in the yard. We should be able to get about fifty yards off the target. Shooting with their bows has been so fun that I am going to buy my own in the spring. ( mid Febuary ish).

I'm thinking about going with an ILF style takedown recurve. This will give me great options to increase draw weight and good tuning ability. My problem is that I'm 6'2" and need somewhere in the +70inch range for bow legnth. Finding a riser and limbs in this range is proving problematic. Here in the US we actually had a real shortage of available gear over the last two years. Archery has exploded in popularity since movies featuring archers,especially female archers, have been huge at the box office.

Any advice as to what,where and when to buy would be apreciated.

Feel free to PM me so as to avoid hijacking the thread.

Thanks

Daniel

I sell quite a few wild turkey primaries on the paleo forum. If anyone needs any, I will hook you up with the Bladesmith Forum discount.

Just pm me.

Awesome stuff Scott, love your quiver too

Rob I don't have that anymore. I sold it.. too soft! I have another one like it that is more rigid and it's better... but I've since made one of those small Mongolian/Turkish style belt quivers and I like it so much better. Especially since I'm now shooting thumb release and need quicker access to arrows..

I bowhunt, howbeit with compound right now. I am hoping that this year or next I could make my own bow. As per a previous thread of mine, I harvested my first bow buck and was able to field dress it with a knife I had forged and created. That was an incredible feeling. One of my bucket lists is to harvest a deer with a bow I have made, arrows I have made and a tip I have forged or even knapped out myself. We shall see.