Helium tank as forge?

Dave Armour

Hey Everyone

In laws are having a party next weekend and we got a couple of those party store helium tanks for balloons. I was wondering if they would be safe to use as a gas forge body after we're done with them. They look like a slightly smaller and lighter version of a 25lb propane tank. Seems silly to scrap them when I know I'm going to be building a new gas forge in the next month or so.

Thanks

Dave Armour

Ah, Naptime-- The Early Childhood Teacher's Best Friend

www.armourcutlery.com

Sounds like a good set of large wind chimes to me.

The issue is getting all the gas out before you alter the shape.

I have my furnace bodies rolled from sheet at a local steel supplier to any size.

Ric

Richard Furrer

Door County Forgeworks

Sturgeon Bay, WI

thats what mine is made from i use it for welding and well everything that will fit i set it up fogg style and have used it for melting with the top off

Brandon Sawisch bladesmith

eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines

I knocked the valve off my propane shell and filled it with water and let it sit for a week. Then dumped it out and cut it to my needs. It has worked fine. I have done the same thing to 3 freon tank forge shells I made.

”Whoever pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity, and honor!”

George Brackett

American Bladesmith's Society,

Apprentice Member

Hialeah, Florida

Blademark photo 375x75BladeMarkPunch-125-sm_zps2e740d6d.jpg

That is the exact same tank that freon, or what passes for it these days, comes in. They will work just fine and the tank is clean and good to go, helium being an inert gas and all, as soon as it is vented. Just be sure to sand all the paint off the outside because that stuff, when it burns, is toxic. You can buy high temperature paint, for bbq grills, at the hardware store, if you do not want it to rust. Even then, some of the paint will burn off (with associated nasty, no good to breath, fumes) wherever the shell gets too hot, above the door for example.

~Bruce~

“All work is empty save when there is love, for work is love made visible.” Kahlil Gibran

"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

My gas forge is also an old freon tank body, so it is viable. After the paint has been stripped of course.

I built a little forge to bring to classes out of one works fine and is nice and light. the only thing I found is the wall thickness on them is so thin I would bother trying to weld on legs or anything on just rivet or bolt everything in place.

MP

As far as letting the gas out... I usually shooth them with a rifle at about 50-75 yards toward the top of the tank, where it starts to taper. It's fun and pretty safe. Though with helium I don't think that is needed, but still fun.

Thanks guys. Hadn't thought about the paint, but it makes sense. I'll post pics when I'm done.

Ah, Naptime-- The Early Childhood Teacher's Best Friend

www.armourcutlery.com