Working up a quick concept conversion for a leftover handle from the Brag build. I had carved the handle upside down. Now I am changing the lyre to an axe and a drinking horn. The blade will be a 19” seax from a reclaimed farriers rasp. Th he blade engravings will depend on the amount of left over rasp marks after grinding. I made quite a bit of progress today and am hoping to finish forging the blade this evening.
I’m not sure what to call this yet. Any suggestions? I'd like to carve the name in runes somewhere, I don't know runes very well and would love some help at some point.

tumblr_myqqvn2bu71qz9mvno1_500.jpg

tumblr_myqqvn2bu71qz9mvno3_1280.jpg

tumblr_myu8di9IJ81qz9mvno1_1280.jpg

tumblr_myycax82dg1qz9mvno1_500.jpg

tumblr_myycax82dg1qz9mvno4_500.jpg

Full posts here.

If you want a little more historic accuracy, you might try giving the clip more length and a gentle concave swoop. The edge already has a graceful curve near the point. Old brokenbacks were also widest at the break in the spine. Quite like it appears in the photo of the post forge, pre grind

On that note, I really enjoy how this looks so far, even if you don't alter the blade shape, it looks fantastic as it sits

Edited by Freya W. Ward

Freya,

I was thinking about bringing it in but wasn't sure about it yet. I guess I was leaving the mass there for room to play after heat treat and final grind. Do you have any links to reference pics of what you are talking about? I've been looking for all kinds of seax pics but what I really want is a detailed view of artifacts, either picture or sketch. I do think you are right, it would help make it a little more interesting as well instead of a rectangle with a triangle tip. Love the suggestion!

For quick reference, this is a smaller brokenback I did a few months ago:

http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=27231&hl=%2Bhickory+%2Bseax

I went a bit shy of half the length of the blade with the break, but to a near sword length blade, this doesn't really apply, maybe around 1/4 or 1/3 of the length.

Freya, I see what you mean with this shape. I will take some measurements of mine today and see where I can adjust. I might pull the break further back now too. It's so nice to get help.

Awesome Josh, I've been waiting for your next one!!..looks great so far..I will be watching this one mate.

Freya,

I was thinking about bringing it in but wasn't sure about it yet. I guess I was leaving the mass there for room to play after heat treat and final grind. Do you have any links to reference pics of what you are talking about? I've been looking for all kinds of seax pics but what I really want is a detailed view of artifacts, either picture or sketch. I do think you are right, it would help make it a little more interesting as well instead of a rectangle with a triangle tip. Love the suggestion!

Find any post by Jeroen Zuiderwijk, scroll to the bottom, and click on the links he has. More saxes than you can imagine! The broken-back variety is pretty much limited to the UK and the continental north sea coast regions west of Denmark.

Find any post by Jeroen Zuiderwijk, scroll to the bottom, and click on the links he has. More saxes than you can imagine! The broken-back variety is pretty much limited to the UK and the continental north sea coast regions west of Denmark.

Thank, Alan! I will ask you direct because I figured you would know or could point me to a source, but who can I show runes to for translation verification in the network?

Our resident runemaster is J. Loose, but several of us know them. You just need to decide when and where your inscription was made to determine language and futhark to employ.

I can translate them into their specific letters/phonetics, and I can write fluently in runes, but only in English and maybe a bit of old English using a site I know: http://www.oldenglishtranslator.co.uk/

I am familiar with Saxon, Germanic, and Norse varieties of runes, Dwarf runes I still need to get familiar with as it varies a tad bit :P.

(Edit: wow posted at the same time Alan)

Edited by Karter Schuster

Our resident runemaster is J. Loose, but several of us know them. You just need to decide when and where your inscription was made to determine language and futhark to employ.

I can translate them into their specific letters/phonetics, and I can write fluently in runes, but only in English and maybe a bit of old English using a site I know: http://www.oldenglishtranslator.co.uk/

I am familiar with Saxon, Germanic, and Norse varieties of runes, Dwarf runes I still need to get familiar with as it varies a tad bit :P.

(Edit: wow posted at the same time Alan)

Alan,

Good point about when. I guess I will be locked to the time period where the runes from the handle were from. I have no idea. I pulled them from this source:

nu509c5e70.gif

Karter, do you know when/which rune set these are from?

I want to inscribe "To Fight", "Defend" and "Drink to Tyr for Strength"

If you can point me to the right period/rune set I found a translator here with various types.

Thanks, guys! I really don't want to set in the wrong runes like a bad tattoo ;)

To be honest I have never seen these before, I know how to write in runes as I have done entire papers for school in them to mess with my teachers even(i had copies of them in English text too just in case :lol:) these look more like bindrunes(i think so?) and I am only familiar with the writing portion. but I can give it a shot to guess.

If you want it in these marking as you have shown I will be more than lost but putting it into runic writing can be easy, depending if you want it in Norse, Saxon or English.

my guess is these "bindrunes" (sorry if that is the wrong term :unsure:) are most likely norse, with maybe a few saxon ones included, what source did you come by for this image?

Edited by Karter Schuster

To be honest I have never seen these before, I know how to write in runes as I have done entire papers for school in them to mess with my teachers even(i had copies of them in English text too just in case :lol:) these look more like bindrunes(i think so?) and I am only familiar with the writing portion. but I can give it a shot to guess.

If you want it in these marking as you have shown I will be more than lost but putting it into runic writing can be easy, depending if you want it in Norse, Saxon or English.

my guess is these "bindrunes" (sorry if that is the wrong term :unsure:) are most likely norse, with maybe a few saxon ones included, what source did you come by for this image?

I don't really want it in these bindrunes (or whatever they are). I was thinking in writing runes from Elder Futhark, but Alan makes a good point about getting the right time so I was hoping to choose a rune set that would have existed with or also been used by whatever culture/time these are from. Would Elder Futhark go with these?

Well this is a broken back so you might want to go with mid period Saxonesque runes. These bindrunes could be from multiple eras as each ones styles appear to be different.

Nope, no Elder Futhark for a brokenback. Anglo-Saxon or late semi-script only. I am not in the least an expert on bindrunes, so no comment there.

Nope, no Elder Futhark for a brokenback. Anglo-Saxon or late semi-script only. I am not in the least an expert on bindrunes, so no comment there.

Excellent! I found this on bind runes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bind_rune I know you can't believe everything you read online but it will help me feel better about combining my handle with your suggestion for Anglo-Saxon runes and just believe they could also have taken inspiration for some bind runes. I got that .zip file from Jeroen's signature... it's nice to see the different types separated out by country in one spot. Now if I could also get down the time periods based on shapes etc... one of these days. I just need to marinate in it all more. As always, thank you for your help!

I just have to say, Josh, fantastic bit of carving you did there and the idea of utilizing the helmet as the pommel is brilliant, well done.

Josh, I have been meaning to ask. How do you get the awesome contrast in the carvings? (And this is great looking. I am glad you found a use for the upside down viking handle)

Josh, I have been meaning to ask. How do you get the awesome contrast in the carvings? (And this is great looking. I am glad you found a use for the upside down viking handle)

Wes,

First part to getting contrast is to leave some thicker edges or side walls for dimension like the sides of the face and axe, beard etc. Then instead of burning (too inconsistent for me) I use a fine paint brush and mix brown/black oil paint in linseed oil and paint in the dark areas outlining the shapes. For larger areas I paint them in, like the clothes, then I take a paper towel and wipe out the middle. This leaves an organic shape to the shadow and a lighter but muted highlight. After the oils have dried I coat it in a product called Howard's Fees and Wax to protect the piece without further darkening the highlights like linseed oil would.

Probably a good idea to say the coloring comes after I have finished the carving, sanding and polishing.

From what little I've read, the page you posted shows a mix of both Bindrunes and magical symbols. Both are easily researched on the internet. For your ease and as a starting place, here's a few links:
http://www.runemaker.com/runemaker.shtml
http://symboldictionary.net/?p=730
http://www.vikingrune.com/category/norse-symbols/

Of course, remember beyond runes use as an alphabet, little is truely known of the meanings. In this modern day, almost all is reconstructed belief, like Gardner and Wiccaism did with witchcraft.

I read about this stuff, because I'm a capitalist and runes and symbols sell quite nicely :-) If you want a rune that's a true warrior symbol and history accurate to place on a weapon, try Tyr.

From what little I've read, the page you posted shows a mix of both Bindrunes and magical symbols. Both are easily researched on the internet. For your ease and as a starting place, here's a few links:

http://www.runemaker.com/runemaker.shtml

http://symboldictionary.net/?p=730

http://www.vikingrune.com/category/norse-symbols/

Of course, remember beyond runes use as an alphabet, little is truely known of the meanings. In this modern day, almost all is reconstructed belief, like Gardner and Wiccaism did with witchcraft.

I read about this stuff, because I'm a capitalist and runes and symbols sell quite nicely :-) If you want a rune that's a true warrior symbol and history accurate to place on a weapon, try Tyr.

Thanks for the links! I feel like I'm getting a crash course in runes and I'm loving it. I never thought the desire to make swords and knives would lead to also learning so much about languages and cultures. But it seems if one want to make blades historically accurate or even historically inspired the education is a must. It's a pleasant surprise though and it really adds more meaning and value to the art of the build.

I've read through most of the vikingrune.com link. I will dig through the others now too. Much appreciated!

I agree Josh..it is an eye opener and very interesting