KITH 2014- Poll

Caleb Harris

Ok, so I think everyone is ready for another KITH. I added in the options suggested by the other smiths. Let me know if I missed any options.

EDIT: makers choice between a carry knife up to 7" with a sheath or a daily use kitchen, utility etc. knife over 7" but no more than 10" overall length sheath optional. Miniatures to be allowed, in case someone is set on doing a Bowie or Saracen belt knife that won't fit the max length criteria, provided of course that they are still large enough to be used consistently / comfortably. This means the votes for kitchen and general use will be added up, with the maker having the choice as specified above.

Edited by Caleb Harris

Trying to make each knife just a little better than the last

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am voting for general use knives, but with two over all length options, first up to 7" carry knives w/sheath and 7 - 10" daily use knives not generally carried in public (including various utility styles, kitchen knives and anything else you might use on a daily basis).

Th overarching theme is focused to "knives we use everyday", but the dual categories allows a bit more flexibility in which type of daily use the individual smith decides to address. A sheath requirement for carry knives makes sense from utility aspect, but it also serves as a balance of sorts (if the sheath is relatively simple) compared to the additional work of making a longer kitchen or utility knife without a sheath.

James

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. Except a creature be part coward it is not a compliment to say it is brave. ~Mark Twain

SageBrush BladeWorks (New website is in limbo...)

I very much like James idea. But I'm in for anything we do

The smith also sitteth by the anvil,

And fighteth with the heat of the furnace,

And noise of the hammer and the anvil is ever in his ears,

And his eyes look still upon the pattern of the thing that he maketh,

He setteth his mind to finish his work,

And waitethto polish it perfectly.

-Ecclesiasticus

We'll wait and see what the polls figger out. Has Kip Kaiser voted yet?

I think Kip might have been suckered into being over the last KITH because he suggested starting one... B)

In which case... Brandon, you up to it?

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook

So I think Norse Culture is winning so far. Anything with that theme.

OR as another option, combining the general use idea with the Norse Culture.

I must say that I would like it to be something different than the Norse culture. Not that I have anything against it, but it would widen our view so much more if we explored some new territory of Persian, Indian or Iranian art! So many possibilities! Quamas, kards, katars, bichwas and much more!

I must say that I would like it to be something different than the Norse culture. Not that I have anything against it, but it would widen our view so much more if we explored some new territory of Persian, Indian or Iranian art! So many possibilities! Quamas, kards, katars, bichwas and much more!

Yes, I agree with something other than Norse, just for a change. Roman seems to have the lead though.

I am open to whatever the voting decides. I think I can contribute more effectively this year than last and would be glad to participate in this KITH. However, I am not a historian and maintaining a 7inch-ish overall length seems more doable in Norse, Celtic & Mid Eastern probably but we've all made our share of these generally speaking.

Regards to all, GT

"I Never Met A Knife I Didn't Like", (Will Rogers)

Eastern style is actually tickling my fancy. What time should I end the poll?

Me too...I voted Norse, but Elias Sideris made a cool Kard that I got to see at Oakland and it was sweet. I wanna try something along those lines.

edit: Ok, I changed my vote :rolleyes:

Edited by Luke Shearer

“Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.”

Me too...I voted Norse, but Elias Sideris made a cool Kard that I got to see at Oakland and it was sweet. I wanna try something along those lines.

edit: Ok, I changed my vote :rolleyes:

As a fiery beard, your vote counts double. :P Ok maybe not.

Should I just remove Norse from the poll guys?

What about allowing the person to choose thier cultural and include a write up about the history. I am sure each of us have our own famiky history we might like to pursue.

That's an idea. But then I'd go with Norse.

So I think Norse Culture is winning so far. Anything with that theme.

OR as another option, combining the general use idea with the Norse Culture.

:ph34r: well, since you didn't add the dual length category for every day use knives, I threw my vote into Kitchen knives. But if we combine the votes between kitchen and carry knives, that combined category moves on top.

I also had to throw a vote into Other culture because there was no option for N/A under which cultural theme we would endorse.

In case it's not obvious already, I am strongly in favor of focusing this KITH on a theme relating to daily usability, rather than setting a cultural theme that will largely push items into the large knife/small sword categories, cool but hanging on my wall gathering dust.

Well made every day use knives that were made by the thousands a mere 50 to 100 years ago are already becoming semi-collectors items today for the simple reason that they get used every day and the bulk have started to wear out. Jump back another 100 years and the pocket knives and kitchen knives of the world get a bit foggy. Jump back to late renaisance and I can't think of a single example of a culturally specific every day use knife. Ceremonial, combat related or fancy display pieces come to mind readily, but not a single true multi-purpose knife.

Leaving cultural origin out of the defined theme will also allow participants to choose what they make based on a style they can confidently send out to another smith because they know they can do it well, or on the other side of the coin, choose an unfamiliar style they want to explore for a challenge and change of pace.

In summary, I stand with my previous proposal for every day use knives: makers choice between a carry knife up to 7" with a sheath or a daily use kitchen, utility etc. knife over 7" but no more than 10" overall length sheath optional. Miniatures to be allowed, in case someone is set on doing a Bowie or Saracen belt knife that won't fit the max length criteria, provided of course that they are still large enough to be used consistently / comfortably.

Cheers,

James

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. Except a creature be part coward it is not a compliment to say it is brave. ~Mark Twain

:ph34r: well, since you didn't add the dual length category for every day use knives, I threw my vote into Kitchen knives. But if we combine the votes between kitchen and carry knives, that combined category moves on top.

I also had to throw a vote into Other culture because there was no option for N/A under which cultural theme we would endorse.

In case it's not obvious already, I am strongly in favor of focusing this KITH on a theme relating to daily usability, rather than setting a cultural theme that will largely push items into the large knife/small sword categories, cool but hanging on my wall gathering dust.

Well made every day use knives that were made by the thousands a mere 50 to 100 years ago are already becoming semi-collectors items today for the simple reason that they get used every day and the bulk have started to wear out. Jump back another 100 years and the pocket knives and kitchen knives of the world get a bit foggy. Jump back to late renaisance and I can't think of a single example of a culturally specific every day use knife. Ceremonial, combat related or fancy display pieces come to mind readily, but not a single true multi-purpose knife.

Leaving cultural origin out of the defined theme will also allow participants to choose what they make based on a style they can confidently send out to another smith because they know they can do it well, or on the other side of the coin, choose an unfamiliar style they want to explore for a challenge and change of pace.

In summary, I stand with my previous proposal for every day use knives: makers choice between a carry knife up to 7" with a sheath or a daily use kitchen, utility etc. knife over 7" but no more than 10" overall length sheath optional. Miniatures to be allowed, in case someone is set on doing a Bowie or Saracen belt knife that won't fit the max length criteria, provided of course that they are still large enough to be used consistently / comfortably.

Cheers,

James

Ok, I won't edit the poll because it'll lose the votes it already has, but kitchen knife and general use votes are added together, in accordance with your idea.

Another idea I had is sorta the culture theme, but I n accordance with the makers ancestry. Just an idea there.

Ok, I won't edit the poll because it'll lose the votes it already has, but kitchen knife and general use votes are added together, in accordance with your idea.

Another idea I had is sorta the culture theme, but I n accordance with the makers ancestry. Just an idea there.

:unsure: On my Dad's side, I'm fourth generation Californian, on my Mom's side I'm 95% Welsh.

Anyone know how to make a Celtic knife out of fruits and nuts?!? B)

James

I threw my vote to daggers and dirks, but in the case of cultural, I'd really like to see an open choice, I'd like to do some Celtic stuff for a change. Just my buck minus 98 cents worth!

:unsure: On my Dad's side, I'm fourth generation Californian, on my Mom's side I'm 95% Welsh.

Anyone know how to make a Celtic knife out of fruits and nuts?!? B)

James

Go with the majority of ancestry then. Californian as in native American?

Anyway, my mom's side I'm completely Dutch; dad's some random mix of everything northern european.

I've mainly made users, so would go for that

To become old and wise... You first have to survive being young and foolish! ;) Ikisu.blogsot.com. Email; milesikisu@gmail.com mobile: +27784653651

Looks like we have a winner.... Middle Eastern cultural theme, and perhaps useful for something besides poking holes in things...:)

I say we run with it. Now, due date? Should we have 6 months to finish?

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook