I made a small Jelly Roll Saturday and actually took some photos, nothing special but thought I'd share. Mr. Fikes told me to give it a try. It's a small roll, 19 layers 15n20 & 1084 was about 20 inches long 1/2 thick

Fluxing

Squaring 1

Squaring 2

First weld pattern

Drawn out pattern

Comments welcomed! Any suggestions?

Rik

Edited by Rik Palm

nice pattern

looks great to me

how are you gonna weld it up... ? maybe draw it out and cut it several times.... stack it on a plate and weld it up like mosaic stuff ? (to get a repeating pattern)

I can't wait to see what it turns out like

Greg

thanx Greg!

As I lay awake at 3am it dawned on me what had occured. I thought there might be a problem with the pattern when it was drawn out. It looks like some of the layers are cut off. I was thinking as if it was a 3D (computer) object just extruded on its Z axis, but its more like a chinese yo-yo (rolled up paper on a stick) but Da! after drawing it out the layers are also spiralled on Z axis just like pulling out the outer layers of a paper roll. The layers are there but down the its length so as you look at its end your only seeing the layers that weren't effected being drawn out. Dah! now I can sleep!

Rik

great photos,thanks, love to see those progression pics

Interesting Ric...

I never would have thought of drawing it out sideways, against the grain like that. I always draw jellies out with the grain, in the direction that the stock was origionally rolled from the mill.

I'm working on a composite jelly, 3 stacked and folded.

Ric, instead of forging the original billet into a long flat bar, why not,.... forge it into a big flat square? Then you could minimize the drawing, and keep the grain flow in the direction of the rolling mill.

Cool Rik! :)

I think it looks really nice!

Hey, is that your hammer?!? B)

I was wondering why you did the manipulations after you did the jelly roll, vs. opening it up to show the jelly roll pattern? Just curious... as I think the jelly roll itself is a really cool patter! :D

closejelly4ma.jpg

-Nick-