Oops, I think I drew out the nakago (tang) a bit too long...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shame on you, SIR! What a beautiful blade! Jesus...that is something I can't put in words... Love it!

Edited by Miles Hebbard

yeah, I doubt there is a lot done by accident on this sword...

from the peek at the tip, it doesn't look like a naginata to me (but I am wrong quite a lot).

looks good, though.

I will play nice ad show the rest of the hamon. The steel is refined bloomery iron. I was aiming for a Soshu school hamon and hada. It is quite dificult to photograph all the activity in the steel.

OMOTE02.jpg

OMOTE03.jpg

Jesus your work is just superb :)

I have set myself a challenge for 2014 to create one complete katana with fittings before the year is out. I'll post some WIP when I start.

Tiaan as you know the quench is responsible for the amount of sori and although there is some degree of control by the smith sometimes things go just like you wanted them. I found most challenging in this blade to create a subtle curve in the nakago to match that of the blade. I had to re-do my grinding space in the shop in order to deal with the overall length of this blade. The nakago is over 2 feet long and the blade's nagasa is 28".

Thank you, guys.

What follows is a very technical and very heavy in Japanese terminology description of the activities in the steel.

The blade belongs to the Soshu den, one of the main five traditions or schools of Japanese sword manufacture. The hamon is ko-choji and gunome midare with yubashiri becoming tobiyaki i some places. Ji-nie is prominent with nioi kuzure. The hada is itame with kinsuji, inazuma and chikei. Koshiba typical of the Koto era (1200-1300s). The boshi is kaeri fukai.