owen bush

Bushfire Forge International Symposium of the Axe'n Seax 2014...

I had a great time. Bombarded with so much information that'll take time to process and think about in more depth!

Need more time in my days!!!

Thanks to Owen but also thanks to everyone else for making it a great weekend.

Thank you all for coming.......

From my point of view it was the best yet, I really enjoyed it.

We had people from 17 or 18 countries (cant read all of the pins!!!).

Thanks to my family and the demonstrators and to you all for the drunken chats and football chants at the end of the smelt...........

If anyone has pictures post them up ....I did not have time to take a single one...

Lol, I forgot to pin the map!!! But, once again, thankyou Owen. That was just the absolute coolest event I have ever attended. It was great to actually meet all of you and either listen to you talk or watch your live demo or just sit back and chill with a beer. All in all, that was the best OCONUS trip I have ever went on.

I had a great time. Thanks very much to our generous and talented host, Mr. Bush, for organizing this event. Doing so take a great deal of work.

Yesterday I accompanied Peter Johnsson, Jake Powning, Jul Loose, Shane Harvey, and Van Clifton to the British museum and the Wallace Collection to view ancient arms from the bronze age to the renaissance. It was mind-blowingly awesome.

I'm currently on a train headed north from London to Scotland to spend a few days touring castles and museums.

I have a ton of photos to share, but no bandwidth with which to upload them at the moment. I'll upload as soon as I get back to the states on the 28th.

Thanks to all those that attended my presentation and provided me with such generous and useful praise, suggestions and feedback.

Cheers!

Dave

Oh, I forgot: We also went up to Wales to unearth the artifact from Arctic Fire 2013 and present it to the winner, Eric Muelmans. Yes, the blade's secret location was in Wales.

A short film showing the final search for the blade, it's unearthing, and a cheery Eric and his wife gleefully examining their prize over a pint in a Welsh Pub will be coming out shortly. The name of the blade, and an explanation of all the clues will be included.

Of course, if you attended Owen's you don't need this video . . . (yup, we gave a sneak peek of reveal and clue breakdown to those in attendance as an added bonus of the Bushfire event). You guys that were there, don's spill the beans until the video comes out.

Grins,

Dave

PS -- Serious plans were laid for the next Arctic Fire while on this trip. It won't be in Alaska, but it will be in the North. Sooo many cool details to come. --DS

PS -- Serious plans were laid for the next Arctic Fire while on this trip. It won't be in Alaska, but it will be in the North. Sooo many cool details to come. --DS

Soooo can't wait....those videos are what helped me finally decide to take the first solid steps on a path to bladesmithing.

Back home in Sweden since Friday and am only now starting to catch my breath.
Owen arranged an incredible event. To meet all these brothers of the flame was energizing and inspiring: learned many useful things and saw work that was creative, clever and compelling.

Thank you Owen!

A few snaps from the weekend !

2014_1_zps0ae72828.jpg

Outside the B.M on the thursday, after a cheeky pint, of course! note the beautifully crafted anvil ! walking through the city I overheard someone say, 'oh look, its the bushfires' like it was the most normal thing in the world !

2014_2_zps003fa953.jpg

naughty photo inside the exhibition, I must have taken it by mistake!

2014_5_zps39fad109.jpg

packed lectures..

2014_4_zpsc83fdba1.jpg

Epic work produced at demos, with strange forges, and evern stranger strikers!

2014_8_zps4cf4e611.jpg

you know it will be a good one when there's a bandanna sweat band on - I think owens magic stick anything the second time flux raised the temps a bit :)

2014_3_zpsc40d1621.jpg

Steel being born,

2014_7_zpsee2255dd.jpg

Warriors (thats my thousand yard stare, no messing about, me, for the fancy dress :P )

2014_6_zpsed87882f.jpg

feasting, and may be a flaggon of ale..

Good memories John

I managed to get no photos myself....

Edited by owen bush

My tears rom missing this even has cooled my forge for many days.

Well done on the gathering Owen and good Sirs,

Ric

Oh, it was! I just got home yesterday at around 6:30 PM after about 18 hours of travel by plane, train, and automobile :wacko: ...I'll work up some pics as soon as I get my head back on straight. I have a few nice ones from the hammer-in and a few more from southwestern England...

Have arrived back in Alaska, so I have had some time to begin processing some photos. Here are a few.

Petr looking intimidating in Owen's secret Medieval inner sanctum (at least, that's what I call it).

Petr Viking.JPG

Petr explaining to Jim Austin that he really wants to try out Jake's axe. Jim's so cool he doesn't even look worried.

Petr Jim.JPG

Shane Harvey and Jake

Shane Jake.JPG

Jake and Richard Van Dijk

Jake Richard.JPG

A pattern welded hand axe I made as a gift for Owen (my presentation dealt with ancient tools)

Handaxe.JPG