I think there is a good amount of resemblance between the Bell Dirk and the Vendetta Corsa dirks from Corsica, Italy.

I wonder if there was any relation or interaction. Anyone ever had the same thoughts?

i post some pics fo Vendetta Corsa dirks here.

6188284_1_l_zps67e286d3.jpg

6188283_1_l_zpsfefba5e8.jpg

6188286_2_l_zpsd5ccb220.jpg

6188287_2_l_zps79af8daa.jpg

H2672-L28549587_zpseaa52f82.jpg

H2672-L41181731_zpsade39e99.jpg

i suppose i don't realy need to post Bell Dirks pictures, there are some fine pics spread in the forum

ps:i do not own the pics

Nice dirks!

There was never a question of the resemblance, Bell obviously had seen one of those and copied it. The only real question is when and where did he get hold of one? Those were probably not very common in 1840s Tennessee and Texas.

Are those a single sided grind? How old are they? Thanks very much for posting those, there are many good ideas to be mined there.

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

Geoff all those dirks were listed by their sellers as 19th century or late 19th century. They are single edge as you say. They do not have a maker's mark, just the words "Morte(=death)" "Vendetta Corsa" or "vai al cuore del nemico(=go to the heart of the enemy)" , "morte al nemico(death to the enemy) " and other verses. Some of those knifes emerge by googling and when their auction ends after a while the photos perish. Some more photos and info are here. There are three books there as bibliography that would be a treat to find.

Lovely stuff. I copied all of the pictures for future reference :P. There is not much doubt what these were intended for, is there?

Thanks, Viktor.

Geoff

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.

- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

I think there is a good amount of resemblance between the Bell Dirk and the Vendetta Corsa dirks from Corsica, Italy.

I wonder if there was any relation or interaction. Anyone ever had the same thoughts?

I think they are both renditions of the Mediterranean dirk, the vendetta corsica being a regional type and the Bell dirk being Bell's interpretation. Very similar knives are found throughout the Mediterranean region, including Spain... the southern U.S. has always had a very strong cultural influence from Spain, they were the first Europeans to explore it. Mediterranean dirks had a presence in the southern U.S., particularly around New Orleans...

It would be interesting to know how far back the style goes... perhaps back to Rome, perhaps all the way back to the Bronze Age... it is a particularly good design for poking holes in things... ;)

George Ezell, bladesmith

" How much useful knowledge is lost by the scattered forms in which it is ushered to the world! How many solitary students spend half their lives in making discoveries which had been perfected a century before their time, for want of a condensed exhibition of what is known."
Buffon

view some of my work

RelicForge on facebook