Phil Ullrich

Another rack shot

Wes's post of the Elk King's rack got me thinking about a few other elk pics I have. I get out in the mountains in Washington state a few times a year, as much as I can, and always try to bring back some materials for knives. I get a kick out of using something I gathered and prepared myself, from a place that I love. Here's a few shots of an elk herd in the Bogachiel rain forest last fall. Fall, the rut season, is a great time to go out there because they are quite active. In the first pic is a juvenile male, in the second you can see the big guy. He kept a close eye on me as they retreated into the mist.

DSC04323.JPG

DSC04324.JPG

Here you see some elk remains that I came across, and then my pack with what I brought home for future use

DSC04298.JPG

DSC04364.JPG

Bones all cleaned up, I'll let them dry a year or so.

DSC04838.JPG

Nice. Did the dead elk appear to have been killed or....?

I am honestly over due for a elk hunt!!!

I love Washington State. I have lived all over, and still Washington is the most gorgeous. I think my favorite is seeing the sun come up close to Mt Rainier. Nothing beats it.

Great pictures Phil. That buck in the second picture is big guy; maybe the Elk King's successor one day :)

Edited by Wes Detrick

Thanks guys!

Nice. Did the dead elk appear to have been killed or....?

Shawn its hard to say what happened but it was a young female and entirely intact as far as I could tell. A cougar kill is one possibility.