• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
GEzell

KITH 2014 sign up thread

1 George Ezell
2 Caleb Harris
3 Luke Shearer
4 Tyler Miller
5 Brad Adams
6 Brandon Buford
7 Pieter-Paul Derks
8 James Spurgeon
9 John Ellis
10 Miles Hebbard
11 Raymond Jewell
12 Kevin Hopkins
13 Gary T.
14 Josh A. Weston
15 Mike Desensi
16 Wes Detrick
17 John Cenotto

18 Daniel Johnson

19 John Page

20 Geoff Krassy

21 James Fuller

1 George Ezell

2 Caleb Harris

3 Luke Shearer

4 Tyler Miller

5 Brad Adams

6 Brandon Buford

7 Pieter-Paul Derks

8 James Spurgeon

9 John Ellis

10 Miles Hebbard

11 Raymond Jewell

12 Kevin Hopkins

13 Gary T.

14 Josh A. Weston

15 Mike Desensi

16 Wes Detrick

17 John Cenotto

18 Daniel Johnson

19 John Page

20 Geoff Krassy

21 James Fuller

22 Rudolf Harmse

What the heck, why not.

1 George Ezell
2 Caleb Harris
3 Luke Shearer
4 Tyler Miller
5 Brad Adams
6 Brandon Buford
7 Pieter-Paul Derks
8 James Spurgeon
9 John Ellis
10 Miles Hebbard
11 Raymond Jewell
12 Kevin Hopkins
13 Gary T.
14 Josh A. Weston
15 Mike Desensi
16 Wes Detrick
17 John Cenotto
18 Daniel Johnson
19 John Page
20 Geoff Krassy
21 James Fuller
22 Rudolf Harmse

23 Nate Runals

Anyone have an example of what is the intended Build My Brain is not working very well (Memory issues here ) forgive me and my issue with recollection .

Anyone have an example of what is the intended Build My Brain is not working very well (Memory issues here ) forgive me and my issue with recollection .

I believe it is a functional blade with a cultural influence from the east.

I will do it!

1 George Ezell

2 Caleb Harris

3 Luke Shearer

4 Tyler Miller

5 Brad Adams

6 Brandon Buford

7 Pieter-Paul Derks

8 James Spurgeon

9 John Ellis

10 Miles Hebbard

11 Raymond Jewell

12 Kevin Hopkins

13 Gary T.

14 Josh A. Weston

15 Mike Desensi

16 Wes Detrick

17 John Cenotto

18 Daniel Johnson

19 John Page

20 Geoff Krassy

21 James Fuller

22 Rudolf Harmse

23 Nate Runals

24 Jason Marcure

1 George Ezell

2 Caleb Harris

3 Luke Shearer

4 Tyler Miller

5 Brad Adams

6 Brandon Buford

7 Pieter-Paul Derks

8 James Spurgeon

9 John Ellis

10 Miles Hebbard

11 Raymond Jewell

12 Kevin Hopkins

13 Gary T.

14 Josh A. Weston

15 Mike Desensi

16 Wes Detrick

17 John Cenotto

18 Daniel Johnson

19 John Page

20 Geoff Krassy

21 James Fuller

22 Rudolf Harmse

23 Nate Runals

24 Jason Marcure

25 R. Yates

Edited by R. Yates

Sorry to butt in here, does anyone have a decent link to a pic or two for me? All I can find are low quality shots that won't show detail, I've got my heart set on a Pesh-kabz, should make an awsome carving knife/self d weapon!

Sorry to butt in here, does anyone have a decent link to a pic or two for me? All I can find are low quality shots that won't show detail, I've got my heart set on a Pesh-kabz, should make an awsome carving knife/self d weapon!

Hi Miles,

Just did some quick googling, here are two links one of which is from this very forum.

1 Local

2.Antique for sale. (has 7 images from various angles, click on them to enlage)

Hope it helps, here is my goole search

I am stil torn between a Golok, Kukri or Bolo knife (I think the bolo knife is in the lead though)

Edited by Rudolf Harmse

Thanks Rudolf, I'm stuck on a crapberry, so it's not easy for me!

international shipping can be tricky, best to check with your local mail/shipping agent/office most time you can make customs tickets as gifts and that seems to work

after reading the list of makers Id like the state for the record Im doing a great impersantion of a man in a cold pool!!

and Id like to add My true hart felt "IM SORRY"

I hope I havent bit off more than I can chew this time , Im really feeling imtimadated at the moment

gawd thire are some ass kicking makers on the list!!!

~M~

1 George Ezell

2 Caleb Harris

3 Luke Shearer

4 Tyler Miller

5 Brad Adams

6 Brandon Buford

7 Pieter-Paul Derks

8 James Spurgeon

9 John Ellis

10 Miles Hebbard

11 Raymond Jewell

12 Kevin Hopkins

13 Gary T.

14 Josh A. Weston

15 Mike Desensi

16 Wes Detrick

17 John Cenotto

18 Daniel Johnson

19 John Page

20 Geoff Krassy

21 James Fuller

22 Rudolf Harmse

23 Nate Runals

24 Jason Marcure

25 R. Yates

26 Nate Bocker

international shipping can be tricky, best to check with your local mail/shipping agent/office most time you can make customs tickets as gifts and that seems to work

after reading the list of makers Id like the state for the record Im doing a great impersantion of a man in a cold pool!!

and Id like to add My true hart felt "IM SORRY"

I hope I havent bit off more than I can chew this time , Im really feeling imtimadated at the moment

gawd thire are some ass kicking makers on the list!!!

~M~

Hey Mike I feel the same way about your last comment you made yet it is the group that makes this a very intriguing KITH and the nature of the build pushes us all to build,make, design,and do our very best work. I may not be perceived as one of the best folks on this list to be trading with as no one has seen much or any of my work Yet I am here . and I hope the good folks on here will finally see I do know what I am doing as a Knife maker and gain the respect of my fellow knife makers as to my work and abilities . However the main reason is for me not the other folks .

@ R.Yates

I hear ya and fully agree!, I just want to make a project that the winner will be happy about

this is My first KITH so I think you understand My feelings, your right its all about the commeradery and friendship about a common subject

its gonna be a interesting "game"

thank you for the support

I really think after the winners are drawn , thire should be a "scrapbook" showing the winnings

saw a thread from a past KITH and it seemed a fun way to end a great and fun function

~M~

Have fun with it Mike I think you will be pleased with your work and the pushing yourself to do different things will help you in developing a new skill set you know you have but never tried . Good Luck Brother .

one quick question, when you say "functional" are we talking about something that can be used like in the backyard/woods and not fall apart? or something that you aren't gonna get hassled by local law enforcement in town for wearing (I know it depends on where you live too). is there a blade length maximum?

I will second most of what George said in his response, can be used without falling apart, and local laws being too varied to form a usable definition etc.

However, I disagree with "Any blade length up to a two-hand sword is fine if you don't mind paying the shipping..."

I proposed the "functional" aspect of the theme, saying I didn't want something to hang on the wall. But I didn't mean that to be a statement of quality! I've never seen "wall-hanger" quality work posted to this forum by any regular contributor!

"Functional", for this KITH, means a blade that could be used for common tasks.

EXAMPLES being kitchen knives, everyday carry knives or general utility knives. Again, those are EXAMPLES, not restrictions.

I won't go so far as to say we have a specific maximum length, but a 2 handed sword isn't exactly a blade with much common usage these days. Though, I did carve the turkey with a Katana a few Thanksgivings ago...

The inspiration for the blade you choose can certainly be a war knife, bush knife, ceremonial knife, whatever you want, so long as the form of the finished knife can serve a purpose or function its new owner could actually use with reasonable frequency, if they so choose...

James

I believe we need to better define functional. When I think of eastern weapons, I envision daggers, Small swords, etc. I did not think of an edc or knife I would use often. I thought of functional as working, not a decorative piece.

Here is the direction I would like to try. A Persian akinakes sword. 25in long.

http://sword-site.com/thread/214/akinakes-scythian-iron-short-sword

This would not be useful today for anybody, but would be functional as a sword.

I think we need to firm up the definition before people get to carried away.

Accurately defining the type of blade this KITH is focusing on would indeed be a good idea.

There is functional as in 'not a decoration'. I think we all know whatever we make; it cannot be a wall-hanging decoration. That should go without saying.

Then there is functional as in 'could be used as an edged tool'. A bowie knife, while used in combat is still a functional bush knife. A jambiya on the
other hand is not at all designed for utility work. Culturally it's not supposed to leave the sheath unless there is going to be a fight. Such a blade would be of limited use as a tool.

Having said all that I personally would be thrilled to get a sword.

Reading through my World Encyclopedia of knives, swords, spears and daggers, it seems like most if not all middle eastern blades are designed for fighting. Or maybe just the 20 pages of knifes are fighting knives. Putting utility knives in full color print might not be as exciting so the publisher left them out.

Personally, I would like it to be a knife that I can use. I don't mind if its 'meant' for fighting, I'll still be able to use it for everyday things because its shortish and edged.

Whist I agree that it would be cool to receive a sword, I cant use a sword for anything (except an insane rampage when I finally snap.. haha).

I would have thought a good length would be no more than 200mm? Sorry Americans...don't know the conversion. Smart people will help...About the length of a Western style Chefs knife, give or take.

What do we think about that?

"I would have thought a good length would be no more than 200mm? Sorry Americans...don't know the conversion. Smart people will help...About the length of a Western style Chefs knife, give or take.

What do we think about that?"

hay Brad , Im far from smart trust me on that the conversion is 7 and 7/8 inches or 7.875(I also think its a great length for a chefs knife)