Dax Looney

Forge welding using electricity.

I've been thinking about making an induction furnace for making Damascus and heart treating. Good idea? Bad one? What do you use?

its works, but pending on the freq that your unit puts out, the heat is shallow ! eg) high freq- heat about 1/16 to 1/8 outer skin and it is extremely easy to burn the metal

for damascus your much better off with a gas forge ! set the heat, insert billet and walk away and have a coffee ( gives a good soak, and you aren't worried about burning steel )

however, for forging stuff out... induction is vastly superior to propane ( like comparing a M1a super match to a musket ) thats why its used in production stuff

There was a guy on another board who tried this a few years back. He had a problem with shutting down TV reception in the neighborhood. Something to think about.

Doug

I have done it with my unit, I found that it will work, but a gas forge is far more efficient for welding, unless I am showing it off then I liquefy the ends of two bars and stick them together.... but that is just fun.

I toyed w/ the idea of building a heat resistant glass case around the conductor of my induction forge and flooding it w/ argon gas, but at the end of the day . . .it's just easier to use a gas forge.

After thinking about the cost disparity between a gas forge and an induction heater, I've decided to just use gas. I have a small coal forge right now; not big enough for anything bigger than a rail spike blade.

Thanks for the info! This thread is what finally convinced me to make a gas forge. I was just going to make a bigger coal burner, but I wasn't sure if I was comfortable doing some forge welding in the coal.

I toyed w/ the idea of building a heat resistant glass case around the conductor of my induction forge and flooding it w/ argon gas, but at the end of the day . . .it's just easier to use a gas forge.

Dave, this is precisely what I would do if I had the funds. I love this idea. My kind of crazy :D