Sign in to follow this  
Jake Powning

new sword

I'm still trying to get good photos of this one, its a very big sword, a thirty six inch blade with a roughly 12 inch hilt, I'm having a hard time not getting a hot spot on the blade. I'm useing pro lights withthe flame proof white gauze diffusers, but it's definately challenging photographing a sword this big.

anyway the blade is 150 layer O1/L6 wich I built a salt pot in order to marquench with lots of advice and help from Randal, thanks buddy :)

the gripp and scabbard are darkenned ash and the fittings are silicon bronze.

the sword is the story of the Norse God Odhinn, and it has the first two stanzas of the Runatal in the original old norse carved on the scabbard in elder futhork runes (that was allot of fun) the guard has an empty eye socket on one side and an eye with a 440 layer 'valkirie hair' damascus cornea on the other, interwoven in the knot work pattern. the gripp has the trunk of the worl tree yggdrasil running up one side and the top of the composit pommel has its crown carved on it. this was a big project I've been working on this sword since january 20th. still gotta do a few coats of linsead oil. and try to get some professional looking photos.

Now I get to go back to the forge and smack some steel for a change, these crazy projects can keep you out of the forge for a long time, doing fittings and polishing and researching rune carving and all that jazz. i also spent about two weeks building two salt pots, one of wich sprung a leak and the other I exploded! well ruptured really :blink:

1odhinn1.jpg

1odhinn2.jpg

1odhinn3.jpg

WOW :o

You really out did yourself this time Jake, thats absolutely amazing.

The proportions are awesome.

Edited by luc

Damn jake... geez even... nice friggin sword....

:blink:

Love it!

HOLY COW! :o Thats a crazy sword. I really like your fittings. How did you make your guard? It looks really good!

Thanks Jake you just ruined my life, I have a 40 page Paper due tomorow, on Hegel at that (god knows he's easy to understand), and now the only thing on my mind is the picture of one magnificient Two-handed Norse Sword, how can I work when talented individuals just put pictures of their wonderfull work on the net, it's very rude :D

Very Very Nice

You made my day

Mike, (Swamped)

I hate Hegel :angry:

Edited by matkins101

Master Piece !

you've done a great thing, here !!

thank you for lettin us see it

Greg :)

:blink::blink::blink:

...argh!...I'm dead! ...

you're mad Jake! ;)

That is absolutely fantastic Jake what a great job, I am beginning to find out about these big things, they are not easy, I am working on one.

Richard

Wow Jake, that is stunning!

I have been wondering what you have been working on lately, because you haven't posted in a while. Now I know, and I am astonished.

Thank you for showing us your latest. :)

stunning jake... reminds me how nice it would be to "play" around with a sword like that... someday i'll have to make one...

Absolutly amazing.....very good job!!!

csc

Beautiful Jake, dam. I love the blade shape and fuller. Very nice. Thank you.

And now I know where you have been or what you have been up to. Since your last blade I was wondering what would be next and to be honest back then I said it would be quite an honour to die killed by one such work of art (not that I want to die), but if I had to I would now find it hard to decide which... hmmm maybe you can just chuck them all on top of me and hope that it crush the life out of me hehe :lol:

Brilliant stuff Jake, this reaffirms my admiration for your excellent work. I can't see any other exponent of your range attaining such beauty and quality in your pieces.

best regards

Nice work, Jake!

Perhaps a matching spear is in order? ;)

Holy freakin' Loki-lovers, Batman! :o

Jake, I think that may well be your finest yet, and that's saying quite a bit. I think I'm gonna go roll around in my truck to see if any of your talent rubbed off in it while you were down here at Harley's... B)

Dam Jake! That's one hell of a beautiful Viking inspired sword!!!! Where's that little "bowing-down-to-greatness" smiley when you need him!!! :blink::D