WIP 15th century messer

Hello again.

I want to share with you my current project.

It's a messer inspired by 15th century finds. So far it's my longest blade that survived heat treating :)

q28m.jpg

The overall lenght is circa 62 cm. It's made from very tough nz3 tool steel (it is sometimes used for jack hammer chisels).

The blade was made by grinding, but I used some hot forging for the crossguard, nagel and pommel.

5cxm.jpg

cgmo.jpg

I am not entirely happy with the guard. The socket was forged on the blade and there are some gaps:

9vax.jpg

I am sure that more skilled blacksmith could have done it better, but it is my limit by now ;)

However the fit is rock solid.

The piece still requires much work. I have to drill a hole for the nagel, the horn scales are only roughly shaped,

the blade needs smooth satin finish.

xwti.jpg

0suj.jpg

The uptadates won't be frequent, because I have access to my workshop only at weekends (not all of them :( ), but I hope it will still be worth watching.

Looks good so far. I like the idea of hiding the plunge line of the ricasso in the guard slot! That gives the benefit of ease of fitment.. and the look of a ricasso/plunge free blade.

Looks great. I'm really interested in how this project goes - especially the little side guard thingie I don't know the name of :wacko: If you can show is how you affix it that would be wonderful.

That is a fine looking blade, I really love the subtlety of the point geometry. Glad to hear it survived the heat treat alright- it would have been a shame to lose this one!

John

looks like a great blade

I really like the tool you have for flaring

~M~

(wygląda jak wielkie ostrza

Bardzo podoba mi się narzędzia, które masz na płomienny
)

That looks great, I really like it..it sure is worth watching....I love seeing what conditions others have to work in...where I am it is hot humid and wet....I just can't imagine what snow would be like.

off to a wonderful start. I think it will work out very well.

tell us about the making and fitting/attachment of that pommel, if you don't mind. I have seen pictures of a number of originals with that style, and I think I may want to attempt it. However, it also looks more difficult than a typical rear bolster.

I just love this type of knives and short swords.

Sorry for the late reply, but I had a busy week at work :wacko:

Thanks for the kind words and your support.

Michal, that's a deadly and beautiful looking piece!

Might I ask you to post some pictures/links of the originals that inspired it? I'm not sure of the best way to research these. Thanks very much in advance!

It is not a copy of an exatct messer. It was mainly inspired by pieces on page 216 (pdf 42) and 219 (pdf 45). http://wratislavia.archeo.uni.wroc.pl/10-tom/6.pdf

The book is BROŃ BIAŁA NA ŚLĄSKU XIV - XVI WIEK by Lech Marek. You can find the full version here: http://wratislavia.archeo.uni.wroc.pl/index.php?sw=101

So nice to see pieces like this !
By any chances, did you ever got to the french reenactment market of Pontoise ?

Never heard of it ;) Could you give me some info ?

tell us about the making and fitting/attachment of that pommel, if you don't mind. I have seen pictures of a number of originals with that style, and I think I may want to attempt it. However, it also looks more difficult than a typical rear bolster.

I just love this type of knives and short swords.

I drilled and filed the hole first. Than the pommel was forged. I used oxygen-propane torch to heat only one side at the moment while the cold side was held in the tongs.Than I put the pommel on the handle and used a hammer to shape it. I think the hardest part will be fitting the scales to the curvature of the pommel.

Edited by Michal Plezia

This is a great market in in France, near Paris, where hundreds of merchants from all Europe come to show and sell their pieces.

The orientation in mainly turned to the reenactment but there is also so fantasy related things.

You can find more infos on their website :http://www.marches-histoire.fr/index.php?lang=en
:)

• 1 month later...

Time to update :)

I've decided to make more interesting type of nagel - st.Jacob's shell. It will be in inserted into the first hole just under the guard. In the pictures it is put into the tubular rivet hole- just to temporarily hold the scales in place.

The pictures are not up to date- currently the horn scales are already glued and the tubes are inserted into the holes. The next step is filing, grinding, sanding and polishing the scales.

2JzsdeOD5fMSF3e.jpg

Fpz6mmOAVzsbpPC.jpg

bnLatzH8Nrs4bv2.jpg

WNrnXIv53MsgV8u.jpg

Edited by Michal Plezia

that is a nice project, and it looks like it would be fun. I have to make one of these soon.

kc

• 2 months later...
The messer is finished. Here are some pics. After taking pictures I decided to round the upper corners of the pommel a bit for more comfortable grip. Anyway the difference is very slight, so the pictures are true to the current state in 99,9% ;). I'll take new pictures when I finish the scabbard.

3mj3b7G4wbb2SD8.jpg

HylCDoIubKm5nMW.jpg

bz20eN5l1LAhY6q.jpg

ANmG8kiCKVEWRXY.jpg

zh36e3bbRENZAP9.jpg

Gu2uOWFsrqy6hR0.jpg

PS8m2g0FEbM8xpB.jpg