A recent ladder pattern chef knife

Here's a chef knife I finished not long ago. It's got a 10" blade with mild edge curve in the French style, at 2-1/4" tall at the heel. The edge is super thin at .008 before sharpening. The damascus is 160 layer ladder pattern in CruForgeV and 15N20. The handle is of mortised-tang construction, in stabilized black ash burl with SS/G10/SS spacers and stabilized ebony bolsters. Overall weight is 8 oz.

Enjoy! Critiques solicited.

DSC02831.JPG

DSC02832.JPG

DSC02833.JPG

DSC02835.JPG

DSC02836.JPG

DSC02837.JPG

DSC02838.JPG

DSC02839.JPG

DSC02841.JPG

DSC02842.JPG

DSC02843.JPG

DSC02844.JPG

Very Nice Salem! I agree with other posters recently. The chef knife is one that is a bit overlooked and I think you have put together a fine cutting tool.

Thanks Dave! I like chefs because they get used. Or should. And, it's a big canvas for hamons or pattern welding.

Hi Salem! It looks perfect! You've got a great shape on that blade! How thick is the spine? I love the patern, fit and finish as well as the handle materials! Really great work!!!

Thanks a lot fellas! Miles, the spine is about .100 at the ricasso- quickly tapering toward the point.

Lovely, it looks like a great cutter.

I've been wondering what cru-forge V would look like in a patternweld, I must say it looks very nice indeed....

I like that when pattern welding CruV you get some of its performance, without the sheer difficulty of hand sanding a pure slab of it this wide. This mix cuts very well, sharpens easy, and holds an edge really well. The only bummer is that most of my CruV is 1.25" round stock that I have to break down on the hammer into flat 3/16" bar.

Thanks fellas for your kind words.

that is lovely! great combination of steels, too. (I want to try 80crv2 with 15n20 soon for something like a big Messer - just to get away from 1075, 1080, & 1084 in pattern welding).

Excellent work, and a good idea.

kc

Thanks guys! Kevin, I gotta talk Chinese swords with you sometime soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry, I hadn't looked at this thread in a while. Thanks guys! John C, Wenatchee, huh? Interesting.

i am a baker and a cook by trade and would love to own a knife like this, so....can i have it? haha! very cool wooden guard. i can already hear the screams of the vegtables.