So I was laying a piece of steel across the jaws a few minutes ago and I noticed the piece stuck to the vice. I have a small (tiny) magnet attached to the side of the anvil face but it's been there for a long time and never been a problem (there to catch filings). I have been filing a lot and I also just had a drill in the jaws locked in the "on" position to wire-brush some pieces. I don't know how it happened, but how do I fix it?

Remove the magnet from the vice and leave it alone for a few days. Since the vice is not made of the materials permement magnets are, the magnetism should disapate.

“Fire and air, earth and water, were once considered the four elemental substances of our world. Among the ancients only the blacksmith worked with all four.” - From The Art of Blacksmithing by Alex W. Bealer

hmmm. Come to think of it, it's probably the motor in the drill. I'll try the hammer and maybe the torch. I knew about the torch. I just didn't want to ruin the HT. thanks I'll see what happens.

I let it sit for a day without anything in it and just now took it off the bench and smacked both jaws a few times. It worked! :) Thanks for your ideas and help.

Cheers

I got tired of blades coming off the grinder magnetized and bought one of these. There is definitely a technique to using it but, for the most part, it works.

~Bruce~

“All work is empty save when there is love, for work is love made visible.” Kahlil Gibran

"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler