Wanted to start punching my hammers in house, not that I dont enjoy visiting my friends with presses :D. So My buddy JJ gave me his old hydraulic press, good guts but the frame was a nightmare, well made but not built by someone who knew how to build a press. So I took the guts and thought about some ways to build a frame and bam, put this press together. Makes 15 tons according to my math, puts a nice hole in 1.5" square no problem.

1779269_10203143246252981_1660032357_n.j

That's pretty cool. I like how you named it "squishy". I'm in the process of building a press myself. I was wondering what kind of motor that is, and what the two round things are on the anvil part are

Hey Matt thanks. Not quite sure what kind of motor it is, under HP it says "Special", its the faster of the two common rpms, I think the pump is 16gpm. The two round things are bolsters used durng punching and drifting.

Cool, it's a big tripod steampunk press... I keep looking at the pic and expecting any second for it to start walking towards the camera, opening it's jaws as it comes....

:0)

Cool press Sam.

Well, actually I was wondering if the motor was 220 or 120 volts. From the photo it looks like you are plugged into a standard 120 volt outlet. I am limited to 120 volts my shop. So if you are using 120 volt to run your press that gives my hope I can do the same. ( *crosses fingures)

Sam, how about some close-ups? I don't know about you guys you got the perfect model, she don't move or be told how to pose, and no one does close-ups! LOL

I really would like to see more of its workings! Pics of it in use would be cool as well!

That is sweet and the very thing I was looking for to aid in drifting eyes in my L6 hawks. Have you hot cut the billets before drifting the eye or are you simply drifting with the hot cutter all in one step?

Its a two stage pump, fast to move then under load it settles in and grunts, 5 horse motor with a 16gpm pump is whats on it.

Shane, just punch right though no prehole or slit. Not a hut cut, its a flat nosed punch.

Looks great! I need a press, but this is the year of the power hammer for me =)

Just my 2 cents worth. I'd put some sort of shielding over the hoses so that something hot cant accidentally go flying into one. My dad works on hydraulic systems like that all day, and high pressure hydraulics are nasty. and by nasty i mean... you really might not want to look at the pictures in

http://www.hoseandfittingsetc.com/our-blog/bid/39816/Danger-of-hydraulic-Oil-Injection-Injuries

You might not even be able to 'see' the injury when it happens, just like a bee sting.