Sign in to follow this  
Tiaan Burger

Skull-licious carved friction folder

Those who know me personally knows my opinion on tactical folders. So, when a client nagged me for months to make him a tactical I could not say no. The problem was to get a tactical look while still doing what I do. I think the result is quite pleasing:

Mild steel handle, Differentially hardened "Saben silver steel" blade, bronze pin, brass washers / bushing.
Blade width: 35mm, open length: 210mm

Edit: "Saben silver steel" is made by Bohler Uddeholm, a close match to W2.

skull+folder+2.jpg

skull+folder+3.jpg

skull+folder+4.jpg

skull+folder+1.jpg

Edited by Tiaan Burger

Definately not what I was expecting...most unusual, but kind of cool!

That's a mean looking folder. I love skulls.

Nice!

My brother-in-law just had a birthday, and I promised him a knife as his present.

Something very similar to this design would be perfect since he will be moving to New York City for a few years, which means knife laws that make Draconian a pale description. On the plus side, he is moving because he was accepted into a 2 year actors training program.

NYC law prohibits any knife with a blade 4" (101mm) or longer and most knives with any sort of lock mechanism that requires a release.(i.e. liner lock, frame lock, lock-back, tab locks etc.) The law also prohibits having any part the knife visible while carrying it, even a pocket clip!

Technically you could carry a fixed blade "neck knife" under the 4 inch rule. But for pocket carry, that really only leaves a slip joint (which I don't care for) or a friction folder.

Do you mind if I borrow the overall profile of this knife?

James

That piece is very grim and dark. Reminds me of some of the knives I've seen photos of that were given as Momento Mori.

Wait. New York City requires concealed carry??!! That is different, for sure.

~Bruce~