A modern Spinning Wheel

Hi guys,

I know there is not much metal work here but this has been taking up a lot of my time over the last few months and I wanted to show it off anyway, I figured some of you may be interested...

my Sister spins and knits, and recently a family that has a herd of sheep for wool (as opposed to eating :) ) has moved in near her home. so last year in a moment of weakness I promised to make her a spinning wheel! since I didn't know the first thing about spinning, this started several months of online research and visits to local museums. the result (after about 250 hours of work) is:

2014-01-02 22.08.09.jpg

2014-01-02 22.09.46.jpg

I had made the promise for her birthday in June but gave it to her for Christmas... since she had to take it home on an airline, it is disassemble-able and all the pieces are sized to fit in an airline acceptable luggage case, and the present included the extra bag fee.

in order to make it, first I had to analyze all the bits that a spinning wheel has and determine what they are for and how to make them. the most hair raising part was definitely edge turning the groove in the 20 inch main wheel on my lathe. almost the whole thing is made of plywood laminated up to different thicknesses for the different parts. then stained and varnished.

This was a very fun project, and now that this is done maybe I can get back to some metal work!!!

Hope you like it,

Taran

It may not be a knife but, it sure is very nice! A lot of art and mechanical work here. A great project by a brother who really cares about his sister!

My Lady Wife, (who has been a spinner and a weaver and a knitter since the last ice age) and owns more spinning wheels than I own anvils, is very impressed, She has asked me to ask you what ratios you've given your sisters wheel? Are you planning to go into production? That is quite an advanced project, and a really nice final product. Did you decide to use plywood because of where you are (sourcing issues, humidity) or for some other reason?

Really nice job,

Geoff

PS

MLW is asking to see some of the yarn.

G

Thanks for the interest!

My Lady Wife, (who has been a spinner and a weaver and a knitter since the last ice age) and owns more spinning wheels than I own anvils, is very impressed, She has asked me to ask you what ratios you've given your sisters wheel? Are you planning to go into production? That is quite an advanced project, and a really nice final product. Did you decide to use plywood because of where you are (sourcing issues, humidity) or for some other reason?

PS

MLW is asking to see some of the yarn

Geoff, the choice of plywood was indeed because the piece was going to be moving from Bermuda 80% humidity to Canada winter 50% humidity and central heating. As well as that, Bermuda is not the easiest place to find material so marine ply seemed the best choice for the range in conditions.

I could have used some input from an experiences spinner when i was designing... since i did not know exactly what she was going to be spinning i made it so that the main drive pully has 2 diameters, 19.5 inches and 18inches. it is set up to be a double drive wheel at the moment (though with a minor modification it could be made to do scotch tension. the ratios for the flier are stepped in blocks which are interchangeable to give you a range of ratios from 4:1 all the way up to 18:1

2013-12-14 18.33.24.jpg

the bobbin pulleys are also interchangeable and lock to the bobbin using a little drive pin (made from pieces of nail) the bobbin pulleys are in smaller sets and are built so that depending on what flier speed you are running you will be able to pick one of 3 complimenting bobbin speeds. i had to make it very flexible both because i did not know what she was planning to do with it and because i wanted to make it... hmmmm ... design fault proof? if i got something wrong in terms of the ratios i will be able to make new pulleys and they will just slot on.

2013-12-22 14.55.34.jpg

2013-12-22 18.40.13.jpg

and since it has such a range in speeds i made 2 fliers, one with a half inch hole and tube orifice a one with a 1.5 inch ring orifice.

And i will post a picture of the yarn when i get one!

• 1 month later...

My wife spins and raises sheep and goats as well. She would love this. Some day I may attempt to make one but I think I will focus on making it ultra compact.