Kerrystagmer

7th Annual Fire and Brimstone Hammer-In

I love Ilya's work, but it's impossible to hear anything else when he's at it. If I could request that it be in a limited window, perhaps that would satisfy everyone?

I'm going to register. I promise. Anyone want me to bring copies of my first two books to sell? It's an odd thing to tailgate, but it is where most of my energy has been directed for a while now.

Hey everybody, let's pile on Ilya! ;)

WOW he would love that haha.

I might be convinced to bring my new press...... :D

Will have some new hammers for sale also........

If you had a row of tire hammers, they would sell. I can't tell you how many people have asked me about mine, how much, does he make more, etc.

Well, I've been having bi-weekly gatherings at my place for the last few months now, and I think several of them plan on attending, so I'll be happy to point them at you.

Also, I'm in the market for a pair of your long skinny pick-up tongs, if you happen to have any lying around you want to sell. My old set is just about worn out, and that's my weapon of choice for coin mokume.

With the weather and impending crunch time at work, I figured I should take advantage of the gorgeous day and knock out the BBQ for the event. Here are some pics to whet your appetites. Vegetarians please avert your eyes.

12699955795_9446c82b0c_o.jpg

51 pounds of brisket minus 15 pounds of fat.

12700123333_ee11dab57c_o.jpg

You cannot make brisket without plenty of Black Pepper and fresh Garlic.

12700432944_c56ebf62c8_o.jpg

The briskets are safely marinating until tonight when they go in the pit for around 20 hours of cherry and pecan smoke.

12700227965_946f31ee9a_o.jpg

For anyone interested, I'll keep you updated as the cook progresses.

Anyone in the East Norriton area tomorrow is welcome to stop by for Quality Assurance tasting. -Doug

Pit loaded at 10PM. Next charcoal feeding is at 1AM which should last untill 7AM.

12710453034_06957d72d0_o.jpg

Pork butts just came off and are cooling. Smallest brisket is at 183F and needs to get to 195F. The larger ones will need several more hours. Sorry for weird color balance. Fluorescent white balance in Daylight will do that. Fortunately it doesn't affect the flavor.

12722257464_4fc59163c6_o.jpg

We would love to have you and if you do decide to come, let me know if you would like to demo. Even if you don't do an official demo there is plenty of hands on time, but I'd like to list you as a demonstrator if you would like.

Hey Matt- I just saw this. Thanks for the interest. Unfortunately, I'm not going to know if I can make it until close to the last minute. This time of year is usually pretty slow for me, which is why I haven't made it yet... I'll let you know as soon as I can confirm though.

All done. Wrapped and annealing in the oven. Chill and freeze tonight. Here comes more snow. -Doug

12726411893_730f0d04f1_o.jpg

Indeud. There are a hundred reasons to come to the hammer-in, this is at least in the top 3, right behind fellowship and learning. The raisins are #4, and the Beaudry might be #5. :lol:

Chris,

I think you hit the nail on the head. Brisket to Beaudry, and a great bunch

of people.

Bill

*salivating*

That is a fine mountain of brisket, I can't wait to dig in! March can't come soon enough :rolleyes:

John

Oh man... I LOVE brisket (especially the moist fatty cuts but hey that's all flavor even if its' bad for me) but finding good brisket in new england is really darned hard. The only BBQ places within a 'meal's' drive of me (aka close enough to say "i'm in the mood for xxx" without having to plan a trip... has terrible brisket =( Good pulled pork, but it's brisket and ribs I want when I go for BBQ

We will have a designated time and place for sheet metal work.

Awesome. And I want name tags for everyone.....and I want ilya to be in costume at all times !

Very excited. I missed it last year and can't wait to make it back.

"Something you would like to see? Post it here and we will add everything we can."

Any chance of an axe or hammer forging demo?

I'd love to see a casting demo, too.

-Jake

I know a few of us were at Axe & Seax, but I don't know anyone who's gone into depth on forging axes up this way, just yet. Alan Longmire does a great Tomahawk demo, but he won't be joining us this year.

Something to put on the list of things to get good at. I got another itch to scratch in the meantime, though.