7th Annual Fire and Brimstone Hammer-In

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forged a small stump anvil from upset wrought yesterday, and a bottom fullering tool. Now I just need to make the bick iron, and my stump set will be ready for small Viking-era work. I plan on doing some multi-bar work, as well as those little curved knives. Working on pre-forms and a snapshot of process pieces this week. With any luck I'll have the hand-blower I bought from John Smith by then, and either my Lively-style charcoal forge, or a U-shaped hearth for forging.

I'd like to blister up some wrought into shear, as well, again this year. Maybe some day Kerry will get me back on the web page... ;)

Edited by Christopher Price

Things are looking real promising for me being there this year. I have so much to learn, so I'll be sure to be checking out everything, but chances are you'll catch me at any and all things Viking.

Well, i hope that I can still make it... But yesterday when working to get my new power hammer ready for the moving company to haul it to my shop a motorcyclist out for a 'joy ride' on his new kawasaki thought it would be smart for him and his passenger to try to fly past everyone on the road at 70 miles an hour in a 25 zone, as I was taking a left turn. They slammed into the front and door of my truck and flew 100 feet down the road. They're lucky to be alive, and my truck is fixable but I'm without a vehicle at the moment, and I dont have rental coverage on my own insurance. I'm trying to get the driver of the bike's insurance company to cover a rental, since they were at fault (and given citation by the police at the scene while they were being hauled away in an ambulance)

Will keep updated, but the motel room that I got in west Baltimore is non-refundable, so if I cant make it in 2 weeks, I may have a room already paid for that someone can stay in.

Bick iron done.

And anyone who was there a couple years ago might remember me with a Campo meteorite on a stick, under the beaudry hammer. I now have a bar of Campo/W2 working up. First pass is 8 layers (I think, it's been forever since I started it) and I'll trim a section off for some low-count twist material, and work the rest up into progressively higher count bars... I figure a 200-300 layer bar, and something around 1000 or so, should be fun to work with.

I also have a stack of wrought/High-P wrought, 9 layers, to weld up for some more authentic core twist material.

After missing last year, I'm getting excited.

I was busting up a nodule, less than a pound, for a crucible melt Jeff ran... maybe that's what you remember. The main piece welded up into a 6-layer master bar, which I've forged out into strips, and laid in thin against some 1/4" W2. It should be spectacular contrast when I'm done with it, since the Campo has absolutely no carbon, and about 6% nickel. I'd like to try carburizing a sample, just to see if I can push enough C into it, to get a visual effect, if not significant hardenability.

I'm requesting help in advance. I have a goal of forging a katana-style blade (or Burmese dha) at the event this year. The way the rest of my month is going, I won't have any opportunity to finish my Aldo contest blade until the event either. I wouldn't mind making a couple of hammers either.

I will be bringing copies of my books for sale.

Jim, if you're going to do a hammer contact Aldo and get him to bring you some 1045 stock in a good beginning dimension.

A sword will take you most of the weekend to forge and heat treat.

I will be glad to help where I can.

And I will take a copy of your books.

Edited by JJ Simon

I picked up the bank draft to pay off the new Iron Kiss 75 today. We will have it up and running for anyone interested in trying it out. I assume John Larson will make it at least one day to answer any questions.

This year we will be buying all the grill items from a local farm right up the street. We sampled the sausages and they are wonderful!!

Anyone needing charcoal please let me know how much you expect to need. They have a couple pallets at the local distributor (Clark's Ace Hardware about 5 miles away) We typically use 500-600 lbs in the two days if there are large stacks running.

I will be burning charcoal, but I'll bring my own if that makes it easier for you... only need a bag or two.

Any chance of getting my bio back up on the page? Fame and glory, you know... :D

I have a trash can full of hardwood charcoal to contribute which is too small/fine for me to use in my grill which I hope can be used in metallurgical pursuits. -Doug

I have it currently at

Zeb 50lb

Jesus 250lb

Chris 40lb

Is mark bringing an additional furnace?

Last I heard, Mark was planning on bringing his hearth, but I have no idea what his consumption rate is. Just left him a voicemail asking, though.

Edited by Christopher Price

Kerry, I am sure you are adding a bag for grilling on Saturday, right?

We always overbuy on the charcoal a bit. It keeps just fine year to year :D We use a bit in the shop during the year as well.

Hi Jake! Sure, help is always welcome. There will be a few guys here on friday getting stuff inline

Looking forward to the event this year. I plan on running a full smelt with the help of Denis. Mark, Zeb and Chris will be busy burning holes in everyone's shirts running hearth furnaces.

We can always use help Friday getting the charcoal chopped and ready to burn on Saturday. Denis and I will arrive around noon on Friday to set up the smelter. I have a plate and a fork already in hand for the moment Doug says go!