mike desensi

KITH 2014

so heres the base for My KITH , 1095( band saw blades)/pure nickel(record molds)/1030( packing strap), dont loook like much now , and I hope it will later...................................

things are starting to get busy around here work and renn faire build I hope to get this into a friends press/little giant ASAP , its just looks odd as a pile of strips I'll post when I get it welded up

~Mike~

Kard stock.jpg

So the bandsaw blades are 1095? I thought bandsaw blade were made from 15N20. I was just wondering because someone just gave me a big bandsaw blade, I took it because I thought it was 15N20. Either way I'm happy with it. Also, where can one find record molds?

Edited by Matt Todd

some are bi metal and you dont want them , the carbon saw blades I get are 1095 old saw mill saws were L-6 and I think that 15n20 is colse to L-6 that but IM not 100% sure

My Mentor who I refer to as My Dad got a few pieces from Tony Swatton and was cool enuff to let Me have a few scraps,I really have no clue were they come from I also have a couple of .062 thick nickel strips too, its all about the prep , clean/remove all paint and other gunk, use a good flux(I like the stuff from K&G supply, its a bill forini mix) and good luck

~M~

Thanks for the info man. Good luck with your KITH, hope it turns out well.

so do I

I have "backup plans" with the last resort being 440c stainless

Is there a fancy smancy bodice dagger hiding in that pile? I think there might be..........

Whatever you do Mike, it will be great. What are you planning, by the way? 15N20 (link to Alpha Knife Supply) is great stuff and would be my ideal steel if they would just add a little Vanadium to the mix!

~Bruce~

Whatever you do Mike, it will be great. What are you planning, by the way? 15N20 (link to Alpha Knife Supply) is great stuff and would be my ideal steel if they would just add a little Vanadium to the mix!
~Bruce~

hay Bruce!!!, I was thinking along the lines of a turkish dag , if that fails a kard maybe in cable last ditch will be a lumm style tanto in 440c
heres My first draft idea
@ Donnie no bodice dagger in that pile Im working on fancy smancy twisty BOOT daggers =)

~M~
KITH 2014 outline.jpg Edited by mike desensi

well things didnt go as well as I wanted this past sunday , useing a friends press I distroyed the KITH billit I was working on

the press just got away from Me and smooched the billit to much on the first press, I doubt if I can salvege anything , the more I tried to save the billit the worst it got......................................well on to plan 2

in the pic I hit a side on a 60 grit belt ,smeared some ferrus chlorid on it then some cold blue just for kicks. day was only about 85% a loss I did get 6 boot twisty dags done(see Donnie I told you !!!!) the little kriss is ready for heat treat too

~M~

trashed billit.jpg

twisty boot blanks.jpg

OMO! (oh my Oden) That sucks Mike, was that all of the steel you had? Well at least you have a back up plan. I wish I could help you, I do have some 1095 and 15N20 in a billet with an initial weld on it. I could do another weld and send it to you, you're not that far from me. Oh, and I also have some 1 1/4" cable if you want some

Edited by Matt Todd

hay Matt, yes that was the whole pile, minus some that delaminated off, first time Iv used pure nickel and the first time the billt went to complete crap<LOL>

Id be interested in the cable and will swap you I still have alot of 1095 and banding

I was leaning on cable as a second attempt anyway, thank you for your help and support

Matt you rock

~M~

Too bad about the billet Mike. :angry::( Better luck on the cable. A Kard in cable would be sweet. I was poking around Oriental Arms website, did a search for "kard" and found a bunch of really interesting stuff. They break things down by culture and, in some cases, probable city of manufacture. Pretty cool to see that this form covered such a large area and so many cultures. Some of the kard, from Central Asia, had integral bolsters instead of the usual, separate, steel ones. Found a neat one from India made of pattern weld instead of wootz. They also had some, unusual ones, with downward curved blades.

~Bruce~