Some Bowies and others

Gosh, these are stunning blades. In particularly being long and the geometry is perfect and flowing. Dang.

Could you kindly divulge what you did in etching and polishing this damascus. I didn't catch the steel/alloy blending though.

I really like a very faint contrast to none at all and I have a damscus billet I plan to forge soon, (1095 and 15N20)

Thank you, Gary

Gosh, these are stunning blades. In particularly being long and the geometry is perfect and flowing. Dang.

Could you kindly divulge what you did in etching and polishing this damascus. I didn't catch the steel/alloy blending though.

I really like a very faint contrast to none at all and I have a damscus billet I plan to forge soon, (1095 and 15N20)

Thank you, Gary

I make my own damascus in 5160 and Bohler K600 high nickel tool steel. I fully harden and selectively temper the blades so I get an even etch. I etch a polished blade (1200grit) in a saturated ferric chloride solution for about 5 minute. I clean the blade with a neutraliser then place it back in the solution for another 5 minutes. If the solution is weaker it needs to stay in longer. As soon as I can feel the relief of the layers in the damascus I stop etching. I then re polish the high spots and buff. I do this on my knives so that they can be used without fear of losing the damscus pattern when the blade gets tarnished. Also it looks really cool.

Thank you Stu. This is how I want my blades to look. With 1095 and 15N20, I am not sure they will be the same but I can go at it carefully.

Gary

Fantastic work Stu. I love the one without a guard but they are all exceptional. Awsome fit and finish too. Some of that handle wood is unreal.

Those are all really great, but the one without the guard is something else indeed. Every line of it is just right. Man, that is really stunning work Stu. Seriously.

Dang! I will just go stand in the corner now.

Had to go search for "Bohler K600" and this is what I found. Apparently not available in the USA. Here is a PDF on the steel from Boehler.

C= 0.45, Si = 0.25, Mn = 0.40, Cr = 1.30, Mo = 0.25, Ni = 4.00

AISI 5160 has C = 0.60, Mn = 0.87, Cr = 0.80 for comparison. Should be extremely tough stuff. Do you have any HRC (Hardness Rockwell C scale) measurements on this blend, just out of curiosity. My guess is that 58 HRC would be the upper end of the scale. AISI 52100 C = 1.00, Mn = 0.30, Cr = 1.50 looks like it would be a good match, composition wise, if you wanted to increase the average carbon content of the billet and also form more carbides.

~Bruce~

Dang! I will just go stand in the corner now.

Had to go search for "Bohler K600" and this is what I found. Apparently not available in the USA. Here is a PDF on the steel from Boehler.

C= 0.45, Si = 0.25, Mn = 0.40, Cr = 1.30, Mo = 0.25, Ni = 4.00

AISI 5160 has C = 0.60, Mn = 0.87, Cr = 0.80 for comparison. Should be extremely tough stuff. Do you have any HRC (Hardness Rockwell C scale) measurements on this blend, just out of curiosity. My guess is that 58 HRC would be the upper end of the scale. AISI 52100 C = 1.00, Mn = 0.30, Cr = 1.50 looks like it would be a good match, composition wise, if you wanted to increase the average carbon content of the billet and also form more carbides.

~Bruce~

Thanks for the tips Bruce. You are correct, hardening is touchy and I temper very low to keep the hardness. 52100 is only available in Bearing form in SA. I would use silver steel but that only comes in round bar. I think my best bet would be to get some 1080 shim.