Ythrildagr: An Elven Dagger

Hello all,

So the moment has finally arrived, my first proper and fully functional blade! Made from a leaf spring and based on a design by David Delagardelle from Cedarloreforge, who was so kind to give me permission to use it. As you might know, David's designs are a piece of art in itself already, so it's not easy to make a good representation of it three-dimensionally, but I did my best. :)

I'm not sure if the design was meant to be elvish, but I thought it could be categorized under that style so I approached it as an elven dagger with all the stories from Tolkien in my head.. So inspiring!

I haven't got a forge and a very limited amount of tools, so I painstakingly used nothing but a few files, a handsaw, sanding paper and a drill. First I cut out the outlines of the blade with the handsaw and then shaped it with a file, then I had to file the edges (which was the most work).

The handle and scabbard are both from oak coming from the woods nearby. :)

I decided to name it Ythrildagr, a name I came up with myself. I later checked if it existed and it turned out that the Gealic name for dagger is "Dagr", so that was a pretty cool coincidence!

Schermafbeelding 2014-02-12 om 15.22.43.png

Schermafbeelding 2014-02-12 om 15.24.37.png

Schermafbeelding 2014-02-12 om 15.23.58.png

OAL: 33 cm (13")

Blade Length: 18,5 cm (7,2")

Wood: Oak finished with oil (scabbard and handle)

Steel: old leaf spring

This is the original illustration by David on which I based this dagger (the one at the bottom), I did alter the proportions a little bit but I think you can still see the similarities.

Schermafbeelding 2014-02-12 om 15.00.03.png

Thanks for taking a look! Let me know what you think. :)

- Jasper Dielemans

Edited by JasperDielemans

Very impressive! As stated before the carving work is top notch! Got to love everything over at Cedarloreforge! I think you did the concept justice!

Jasper, very well done!!! I also follow Dave's work and have a few knives with his influence in the works! great job thanks for sharing!!!

Kip

Well done. Nice and elegant.

Also, for what it's worth, I love the pinecone head in the original drawing! ^_^

what a fantastic piece of work, i also would never have guessed this was one of your first.

i mean look at that fit and finish :blink:

Very impressive work! The carving and the clean transition between the bolster and the blade are very, very well done.

I'd suggest going over the bolster with #00 steel wool and then applying a patina of liver of sulphur to it. I think it would add to the aesthetic. A hamon or a straw/golden heat treat coloring of the blade would also be nice, I think.

These are just suggestions of "condiments" to the main course. You've done a fabulous job.

Can't wait to see what you'll do next!

Dave

That is fantastic work Jasper in every way....I knew you would make great things and I am greatly looking forward to seeing your future works.

Thanks all of you! I see many of you looking forward to my next thing, if everything goes as planned that will be a seax collaboration between me and Karter! :)

To Matt: making it took me about two weeks I think? From the untouched leafspring to this.

The heat-treat and all was done by a smith living near me, he sorted that part out for me since I am definitely still a rookie with that stuff! :P

Edited by JasperDielemans