Not a knife but kind of cool

Nice Matthew! That is a tool to be proud of! I realy like the inlay.

thanks guys.

David, As it is a chasing hammer the face is dead soft, but I did harden and temper the rest of the head. With this mix it is the only way to get any contrast in the pattern. in fact the pattern washes out about half way up the radius to the face.

chasing hammers are only meant to strike hardened tools a soft face will do less damage to the tool and if/when it dings it isn't an issue as the finish of the striking surface is never in contact with the work. I understand that a lot of the newer chasing hammers on the market have hardened faces but many jewelers I know say these are poorly made with overly thick handles and chunky to hard faces.

beautiful hammer.

Are the faces of the Japanese hammers for tagane hardened, in general? Jim or Matt?

that is one of the coolest little hammers I have ever seen.

kc

Hammers for rock chisels are traditionally soft too. Both ends of the rock chisels are hardened and the end the hammer hits tapers a bit and has a cup shape to the face. This is an attempt to keep the hammer from bouncing on the end of the chisel and creating a double mark or slipping off and possibly hitting something important.

~Bruce~

My approach, as taught in college and confirmed by a quick glance at Untracht, has always been to harden only the working end of any chasing or stamping tools and let the face of the chasing hammer remain hardened and relatively unmarred. There's no real right or wrong, but I think the hardened hammer's way less likely to crack and shatter / splinter than the hardened end of a tool.

In any case, it's a beautiful hammer. :)

I agree totally on the struck tools I make the struck ends as soft as possible. that said I have noticed that the softer on the hammer face mushrooms the ends a bit less and is more grippy .. if that makes sense. it may be my imagination but hey it Works!