My new power hammer ! 75# Dupont Fairbanks model B

So I dont have good pictures of it, for some reason all the ones I took on my phone didnt come out while I was looking at the hammer today. I just bought this hammer today, and should have it delivered to my shop in the next week or two (I'm paying someone who has a truck with a crane arm to pick it up and drive it the 20 miles to my house) so I need to make sure I clear the space for it, and build a wooden base for it.

I also need to get a VFD or phase converter for it, since it's currently running on a 2hp 3phase motor but I dont have 3 phase power in my shop. I drove over to take a look at it this afternoon, and when the owner plugged it in and started to use it as is, it was one of the 2 shop hammers in a professional shop that's being downsized, I knew it was the one for me. It needs no work except putting the brake back on it (runs fine without the brake too, most mechanical power hammers dont have them from factory anyways)

So happy and excited to have a hammer, cant wait to get it set up and start pounding out stuff. I was originally going to be buying a 50lb LG later this year, that the owner was going to start rebuilding sometime next month, but... this one kinda fell in my lap, ready to use and just 20 miles down the road, at a price I could not pass up. I wrote him a check on the spot!

dupont1.jpg

dupont2.jpg

dupont3.jpg

dupont4.jpg

dupont5.jpg

@Matt I paid his asking price of 2500, i saw no reason to haggle over it. He sent out an email to the new england blacksmiths organization offering it, and having been to his shop before I knew he was just minutes down the road so I had to jump.

Cant wait to get it home and start squishing things! This hammer should handle 2 inch square or 2 and a quarter round without any problems... which beats the heck outa beating up my arm!

Sweet!

You could always put a single phase 2hp motor on it as well. Might be cheaper than a VFD, plus then you woud have a 3phase motor to build a variable speed grinder next year when you do get a VFD...

Pretty jealous here. Both for the hammer and having a place to put it!

~Bruce~

Hehe, I dont have much of a place to put it, my whole workshop is kinda crammed around my garage, which also has my old british roadster in it, so my workshop is half of a 2 car garage, with a lot of equipment to squeeze in! Need to clear all this snow out of my driveway now so that I can get the truck that's going to deliver it clear access to the front of the garage. I hope they can get it /in/ the garage or I'll have to have them put it infront of hte garage, throw a tarp over it, and find someone with a forklift to help me move it. 2500lbs isnt much for a power hammer... but its' a lot more than I have the ability to move by myself !

If they can't lift it in your shop you should be able to roll it in the door on some round bar/pipe if you have a smooth floor. I have some 3/4" dia. round bar I keep around for this purpose. You might run into problems by yourself though if you have a slope in the floor.

If they can't lift it in your shop you should be able to roll it in the door on some round bar/pipe if you have a smooth floor. I have some 3/4" dia. round bar I keep around for this purpose. You might run into problems by yourself though if you have a slope in the floor.

Shop floor is nice and flat... the problem is the slope up to the edge of the poured concrete slab =D

I'll get it in and set up no matter what, even if i have to lay it down on some moving dollies, roll it in with pry bars to lift the dollies over the bumps, and then stand it back up using my engine hoist to lift from the top.

Right now I need to clear all this snow we keep getting from the driveway, ugh !

Ha! I would love to have the problem of figuring out how to get a trip hammer into my shop. Of course, I built the floor so that I can pull up a section, dig it out, and pour a base for a hammer, if necessary! Probably thinking too far ahead and too positively.

~Bruce~

I set a goal last summer of "I will own a power hammer in 2014" It's taken a lot of false starts and a few blown leads, but I've got one now (pending delivery =P) In fact I saved so much money on the power hammer over what I was planning on spending... I might be able to swing a hydraulic forging press this year as well.

So I am now prepping for delivery of the hammer. Turns out that where I want it... it wouldn't fit, because of the garage door tracks. Well... I've always had problems with my right hand garage door, because the side door to the garage hits the side of the overhead tracks. Today I built myself a set of double hung (dutch) carriage doors for the right side of the garage. The doors arent quite done yet, but it got too late to be out there hammering and sawing. I need to put the center trim board down the front to cover up the gap (needed a half inch gap so the doors would swing freely) and put the handles on the front, and then on the inside I need to put the door scraper on the bottom still and a big pair of slide bolts at the top of the door into the header. Then I need to find a matching paint for the ugly mint green that my garage siding is and paint the doors (they're only in grey primer right now)

With this new door in and the overhead track removed, I'll have not only clearance for the power hammer, but I'll also be able to buy and fit the gantry crane that I've wanted in my shop for some time to load and unload heavy stuff from my pickup and whatnot. In fact I think I will need the gantry crane to move the hammer into place once it gets delivered to my house, I dont think the truck delivering it can do more than put it just inside the door of the garage.

garage.jpg
garage1.jpg

Part 2 of operation "get the hammer in my shop" is done. I've got my HF gantry crane assembled and over the door. Now I need to call around and find a rigger or tow truck company or whatnot that can get the hammer out of the shop it's in currently and deliver it 20 miles down the road to my shop

crane.jpg

Went down and talked with George at his shop this afternoon and took some measurements. Going to make a wooden skid with 3 4x4s under it and a plywood top to lay the hammer down sideways ontop of adn be able to roll it out. Then I can hire a tilt-bed tow truck to haul it the 20 miles from his shop to mine, and slide it off the back, where I can use the gantry crane to stand it back up again and position it.

Here's some much better photos of the hammer

DSCN2140.JPG

DSCN2141.JPG

DSCN2142.JPG

DSCN2143.JPG

DSCN2144.JPG

DSCN2145.JPG

DSCN2146.JPG

DSCN2147.JPG

DSCN2148.JPG

DSCN2149.JPG

Got the hammer moved onto a wooden skid I built for transportation. Giving a call to a rigger/machinery mover on monday now that it's all prepped for transport. Had tried to get a flatbed / tilt bed tow truck to move it but 2 companies i called refused to move it if it wasn't a car, and the 3rd said they'd call me back by noon if they were able to make it since they only had one flatbed and they never called. Going with the company that moved the hammer and other shop equipment into its present location instead.

It was amazing how far over we got the hammer tipped before it would finally start to come over on it's own.

Here's the wooden skid, four 4x4s and a sheet of plywood, 8 eye bolts for straps on top, and 2 heavy duty forged eyebolts underneath for it to be winched on.

DSCN2151.JPG

Hammer with a chain hoist to the I beam in the ceiling

DSCN2152.JPG

First we lifted the hammer up and got one edge under the skid, and put some boards under the back side

DSCN2153.JPG

At this point the hammer was STILL not tipped far enough to come down on it's own, and we needed to find more boards to lever it up further.

DSCN2154.JPG

Lowering the hammer slowly

DSCN2155.JPG

Turns out that the base of the anvil is hollow! Who knew =)

DSCN2156.JPG

On its side with wood blocks to keep it horizontal without the fly wheels taking the weight.

DSCN2157.JPG

All strapped down and tucked away, ready for the riggers

DSCN2158.JPG

Lowering it down was a good bit of work, hopefully, knowing just how bottom heavy and how low the center of gravity is, standing it up will be easier when we get it to my shop.

Well, the recommended foundation for it is a 2 by 3 foot pad 18 inches deep, with wood ontop of it... but it's been run ontop of a 4" concrete floor with just 1 inch of plywood and 1 layer of heavy rubber matting under it for years without problems. I'll set it up on the base that the previous owner used, and see if I have any issues and have to make something more substantial.

Should be delivered early tomorrow morning, and then I'll have to stand
it up using my gantry crane. Actually I envision the process along
these lines. First I'll get my engine hoist on the bottom end of it,
and the gantry crane on the top, and I will lift it enough to get the
skid out from under it, then lower the bottom end with the engine hoist
down the 5 or so inches it'll be up after putting the plywood and rubber
pad under it. Then I'll use my 2 ton chain hoist to slowly walk the
hammer upright, with a 2nd chain tensioner (lever chain hoist thing)
going to the wall as a saftey behind it.

So I think I've decided where the hammer is going to live Far enough into the garage that I can back a truck into the side to use the crane and against the far wall so it's not near the car with hot flying scale. I'm not set on the orientation of the hammer yet. The dies are straight across, not angled, so most of the time I'd be coming at it straight from a side, not front on. That little pad on top of 4 inch concrete is how it's been run for years without problems... so I'm going to give it a try. If it cracks my concrete pad, well, that's less jack hammering I'll have to do to pour a separate footing.

DSCN2164.JPG

DSCN2165.JPG

DSCN2166.JPG

The eagle has landed... where eagle = powerhammer and landed = is in my garage

Demers Bros. Trucking of Attleboro MA, who specializes in machinery moving and rigging did all the heavy lifting for me. They picked it up at Martell Metalworks bright and early this morning around 6:45 am, and had it on my street at quarter of 9. Much better than using a winch and a flatbed towtruck, they brought their own forklift, the right fork extensions to lift something long and heavy, etc. I'm glad I used a machinery mover and not a towtruck =) My driveway is not the best driveway either, it's kind of steep and at an angle.

Now the last step is to shift it around in the garage and stand it up!

DSCN2167.JPG

DSCN2168.JPG

DSCN2169.JPG

DSCN2170.JPG

DSCN2171.JPG

DSCN2172.JPG

DSCN2173.JPG