Wrecking some padlocks

There was a request in another forum to get pictures of breaking padlocks. It was a test I'd been planning on for a while, shooting some video of it, but hadn't gotten to that point yet. I decided to go ahead and test it out with shooting photos and get the video at a future date.

I tried padlock breaking for the first time with one of my Wreckers that I was hanging onto for myself to shoot some demonstration videos later. I wasn't as quick or graceful about it as Ryan Johnson, but I was successful. My spike doesn't fit as well in the shackle of the padlock as the RMJ does. Don't know if that will lead to changing the design down the road or not as busting padlocks is not the only design consideration with them.

Prior to starting on the lock, a standard Master Lock:

lockbreaker009_zps2d3b4e49.jpg

After the shackle broke:

lockbreaker018_zps97783b6d.jpg

Hard to tell from that pic. Let's take a closer look:

lockbreaker019_zps8fc35c0a.jpg

You can see that I struck at the body of the lock with the point of the spike. I honestly don't know if it was prying or striking that broke the shackle. It wasn't a dramatic event and I didn't see it was broken at first.

I decided to try it with a lock with a shorter shackle. It was even more difficult to fit the spike in with the heavy chain links. I ended up striking with the spike until the lock popped open. You could not re-lock it afterwards due to the damage.

lockbreaker036_zpscfe822a5.jpg

Here's a close look at the longer-shackeld lock:

lockbreaker047_zpsa87b849f.jpg

And the various places on the shorter one that got hit:

lockbreaker045_zpsf089fbe7.jpg

lockbreaker039_zps0471b1e9.jpg

lockbreaker041_zps0431c93f.jpg

It was hard to get my camera to focus on the end of the spike's point, but you can see that while the steel wasn't untouched, it almost was exactly like it started out.

lockbreaker054_zpsd703792a.jpg

I still plan on shooting video of lock breaking sometime down the road.

That's awesome stormcrow! Great stress test and results!

Impressive results, way better than I expected from 4140 put to this use. Marketing is a big part of success but, it looks like you already know that! You could also take a page from the book of a popular American knife manufacturer and hammer one of the non-spiked models through a bolt.

~Bruce~

I'd be a lot happier to see his handforged stuff personally, as I know he is certainly capable of making.

These are just production axes and as far as I am concerned really don't belong here.

This is the Bladesmith's Forum, these belong on a tactical/ production forum.

Unless we are suddenly changing direction here and moving away from the bladesmithing focus.

R.H.

The forum is not exclusively for forged blades, though most of our members use that technique. Several of our members employ stock removal techniques exclusively (nothing wrong with that), and I know I've personally benefitted from their sharing of techniques/knowledge. After all, every blade is eventually a stock removal project.

If it's handmade and a blade, I don't see a problem with it being on the forum.

I agree that mass-produced production blades (i.e. exclusively machine made in large batches) have no place here.

Dave

Hand made. Looks like water or laser cut to me. Each post containing these axes show axes pretty much exactly the same, from post to post. Handle mount holes all in exactly the same place, profile exactly the same.

Even the texture on the profile looks water or laser cut, and not even ground and smoothed out.

Man, I have been doing this for over 35 years now, I don't think I'm that easy to fool yet.

And if this forum is not about forged blades, then something significant has changed since I was here last, because when this forum was started, that's EXACTLY what this forum was about.

The craft of bladesmithing.

Not " knifemaking", not " knife crafting"...

Bladesmithing.

Yes, some grinding happens on forged blades, but I think that is a very weak argument in this case.

In my estimation the only stock removal done on those axes was predominantly performed by a cnc controlled water jet or laser cutter.

Then sharpened on a grinder.

I don't feel this is in the spirit of this forum or it's origins.

Finally, Stormcrow is not a real name. We apparantly have rules here. Why do they not apply to select people?

I care. Alot.

Don Fogg is one of perhaps three bladesmiths on this planet that I feel I owe anything too. For his friendship and his encouragement,and his writings which inspire me to this day.

I was here at the very beginning, I was one of the people who originally argued for real names here, and my feelings have not changed on that.

And I was here early enough to know that production tactical stuff was not what this place was about.

I have no problem with the tools themselves. I just don't believe that they belong here. Seeing them once was enough. Same axes, over and over, to me is not what this place was, or is about.

Aside from the fact that Mr.Helms is in fact a quite capable bladesmith... I would rather see his hand mades stuff. He does the neo tribal thing well, and he does awesome handle wraps...by hand.

I don't think those axes belong here, especially with the cut and pasted rap from his blog to go with them.

R.H.

Take it easy man.

Please believe me that I take this forum—and the intent behind it’s creator—very seriously indeed.

I’ve spent a lot of time speaking with Don, both via email and in person, about the elements he envisioned when he created it. This is not a home for technique purists. The qualities that define this forum are an openness to exchange knowledge, techniques and tools; a shared passion for the craft of creating beautiful, useful edged objects; and the shared belief that “the way” of this craft is worthy of philosophical (as well as technical) exploration. Top that off with a sense of courtesy and openness that is very rare on the internet, and you have the DNA of this forum in my opinion.

And, my opinion is an informed one.

This is not a forum JUST about bladesmithing, but about all the elements of hand craftsmanship that go into it. Imagine if we were technique purists as you suggest.

I think that all regular readers would agree that the forum would be devastatingly less if we removed the contributions of these (and many other) craftsmen simply because their posts did not exclusively relate to shaping blades with forge, hammer and anvil.

Also, it's not as if Stormcrow is attempting to hide or decieve us on his production techniques on this hawk: http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=26651&hl= And a simple search on the topics/comments he's posted would show he's a meaningful contributor to this forum and not a spammer or a front for a Chinese factory.

As far as names are concerned: It’s true that we prefer real names to fake ones. Alan has been doing a great job of enforcing that rule for new members. Legacy members with names like “stormcrow” are encouraged to change their names to real ones (do a search on this, there’s a long-running topic). However, we’re not going to take the time/effort to hunt down and force these members to change their names. That’s just not our style.

So, my friend, I'm asking you to chill out a bit. If his topic isn't your particular flavor of vodka, just don't read it. Please believe me that the admins on the forum are very quick to ban true spammers or production factories that attemp to use the forum as an advertising base (and they try all the time). And there is no danger that by allowing members to post this sort of thread that this forum is about to become a haven for the Knifemaker's Guild or other hardcore stock removal organizations, forcing out bladesmiths. We're just not their style (and vice versa, I think).

Having said all that. I sincerely thank you for caring about the soul of this forum. It's clear that the intent of your post is based in your sense of loyalty and affection for the spirit of this forum and an attempt to defend it. In that we are allied.

Cheers,

Dave

Well, your guy's call I guess.

I am extremely dissapointed though, and do not agree at all with your reasonings.

All those people you mentioned do one off work, by hand, with hand tools.

I don't feel those axes can be considered that.

None of the artists you mention repeatedly make the same object from a pattern.

But in any case, not up to me to decide. My complaint has been lodged and I stand by what I said.

You are right about one thing though. I don't have to look at anything I don't like.

Hey Graham maybe you should read the quote from Teddy Roosevelt at the bottom of Daves reply

kinda makes sense to reasonable man..........

Really.

I'm unreasonable for bringing this up?

Ok then, I'll be taking my leave.

I thank both of you for your posts. An interesting thing to read through. I did find this post interesting both in its original content and in that added by the discussion. Nice work on the spike. I found the lock braking thing interesting.

Just another reason I check this site daily. Have a good night everyone.

Geez, I leave town for the weekend and stuff gets heated! As I said in the ivory ban thread, play nice, guys. Randal, please don't let this run you off. Stormcrow/James, don't take offense. Thick skins, gentlemen!

Now I'm off to smelt with Mark, Jesus, Dennis, and Chris. Don't make me type on my phone more than I have to!

Well hey, obviously I'm the only one who feels this way, so be it.

People used to stand up for things here but now nobody wants to come out and take a stand on anything.

I was not referring to the axes because they were not forged blades... They are production pieces.

Bringing Kelso and all those others into the discussion was completely unfair and not in the context of my point either.

They make one off things by hand.

If you cannot see these differences, and the only way to discuss the issue is to throw that kind of curve at me in the debate, then ya'll can do without me. I have no desire to circle talk with anybody anymore.

If you are going to have rules, then you should enforce them.

And if there are going to be more pattern-made production pieces here, along with the marketing media, then it is no place for me.

And I am quite surprised no one else feels the same way.

Seems like everybody has become so scared of not being politically correct that anything goes now because it is too distasteful to tackle a problem head on.

Yet, folks will jump all over somebody for being inspired by something political, or saying an off-colour word... But when it comes down to the very essence of what this place is supposed to be about, many take a glance, including moderators, and then immediately check out because they just can't handle it.

This place was about making things by hand, individual things, it was about the craft of bladesmithing. Of course, carving, hilt and handlemaking, grinding and such all go along with that. The common theme was that it was all one off custom stuff, driven by the spirit and inspiration of the craftsmen. Not mass produced items made to a pattern, which is the very opposite of what most of us do.

Edited by R.H.Graham

I too think Mr Graham has a point. I don't want to have the Purity Police saying people can't post because they used stock removal on a piece, but I don't want to see the forum drift away from the focus on hand forged blades and related artisan works. Who decides what's too far? Not sure. Admins have some control, but the forum community has a lot too just by what they post. Mr Graham thinks this post has drifted a bit too far and made that opinion known. Others disagree. Maybe this is the process of control in action...

Well, I'm sorry if I came off anti stock removal... That's not what I meant to convey.

And I am happy if anybody finds a way to make some income in this business. Because it is a damn hard way to make a living.

And, I also think the axes themselves are just fine. Good steel choice, good heat treat, decent design.

But they are still production pieces, and seeing them once was enough imo. Dave posted a link, that even showed them as being watercut.

I think a line needs to be drawn somewhere, personally, and I think these axes cross that line.

I could argue the point that a lot of the chinese made katana that people are quick to rail on here have a WHOLE lot more hand-work involved in their making than these axes do.

So where is the line?

i think that both sides have a very good point in this disscussion, however i think that if people wish to continue debating this topic they should open a new thread in the disscussion section of the forum and let james have his post back. we have always had respect for eachother on this forum and because people have made their point i think it would be respectable to move the debate.

Mmm, I don't normally get involved in issues, but I see both sides of the story, I make most of my livelyhood doing steak knives, they are boring work and all the stainless stuff I have laser cut, which is most of it, however I seldom post them here as I regard them as 'mass production, the blanks are hand finished,etc etc when I make a special set, I have no problems posting them! I have to say that seeing the same thing over and over does bore me, I am happy that 'Stormcrow' found/designed a good product, tested and perfected it, and marketed it well, he deserves his succes, and I wish him well, on the other hand I 'get' R.H Graham's point only too well, repetition does become rather boring, and I too prefer seeing hand crafted work, (if I posted all my steak/kitchen knives here, there would be little space left...) Just felt my 2cents worth should be said this time, sorry!

Really.

I'm unreasonable for bringing this up?

Ok then, I'll be taking my leave.

I'm not saying you are unreasonable for your opinion, I am pro old school work myself but I don't damn someone for doing things differently than my style, the reason I came aboard this site was the fact of it's diversity in styles and techniques, without that

it would be nothing but a bore..The proto type work was more than likely done by hand and has evolved from that, aside from the fact that waterjet cutting is technically stock removal also. The spirit of design is still there and in my opinion as long as there is no corporate sales crap being pushed on us it does'nt detract from the forum's spirit

I have seen organizations fall apart over my way or the highway attitudes and hope not to see that here

I was only saying that reasonable people can have an opinion wthout damning the effort of others ,look at the other side of the coin here, some one could have the opinion that the old school method is a waste of time and effort.

Double edged sword opinions are.... With all due respect,.... MY, Opinion

Edited by Clifford Brewer

Well, there ya go Dave, seems to me like the membership falls on your side of the line, judging by the deafening silence.

I will bend over, take my three whacks, and return you all to your regular programming.

Sorry to have brought it up folks.