Pigeon Forge Smelt.

Mark Green

Well to chime in myself. I cannot say thank you enough to Alan for making this happen. It was a great opportunity to be part of an historic smelt indeed. The fellowship, chance to learn on a rather difficult ore, and some of the best weather you could ask for in East Tennessee in Feb. to boot. It doesn't seem to matter how many times I help or do this I still get excited seeing the bloom hanging there ready to drop knowing that we are doing something akin to the way it was done a couple of thousand years ago. My hats off to Jesus and Mark for their differing approaches to the same result. Alan and Chris for all the willingness to just get in there and do what need doing. I'm honored to call these guys my friends.

Stepping off the soapbox for now.

Denis

Oh Randall never underestimate the fun of rabbit poop.

Veta King, the historian who got this whole thing rolling, sent me a couple of pictures she took. This one's my favorite and really captures the feel of the event during the less-exciting moments. I'm not sure what me and Chris are looking at.

Smelt 1Aedit2.jpg

Careful there Jesus, I'll make you a set to take away any excuses for failure and don't forget Mark's calibrated eyes as he ok'd all charges.

How much?

Alan, that woman takes some fine pictures. We need more skilled photographers at our events, I think, it helps us tell our story. Please pass on my thanks for them.

The Tidewater Forge

Christopher Price, Bladesmith

Cool guys!

Jesus learned that look from Mike Blue :0)

I had to stop doing smelting at public events, I get too cranky...ask Allan...

I am sorry I missed it though, you guys knocked that one outta the park...

Randal

www.rhgraham.simpl.com

Will do. They are eager to see your video, for that matter. ;) I told them it may be a while since you have a day job.

I'm about half done, but I want to shoot some of the consolidation I'm doing this weekend.

The Tidewater Forge

• 2 weeks later...

very nicly done gentlemen! I always wondered how Pigeon Forge got its name, now I know.

A bad day forging... is still better than pretty much anything else

The same could be said of most any town in Colonial America, if it has the word "Forge" or "Furnace," it almost certainly was built around the production of iron, either in blast furnaces (cast) or various forms of refining furnaces and bloomery operations. A quick look at place names along the Appalachian mountains tells us that iron making was quite common up and down the colonies for a good period of pre-industrial time.

The Tidewater Forge