No pleasure from food

I see a lot of people posting pics of food on Facebook and it just repulses me. I realized that I get ZERO pleasure from food in general. Every now and then it is acceptable but never really great...I would just as soon plug in at night than deal with the constant demands of my stomach. Am I the only one ?

I think that is very sad. As I see it, cooking and eating good food is one of the only things that separates Man from Beast. I revere good food, not necessarily fancy food, but good ingredients treated with respect. That is just my .02.

Geoff

That's a sad statement bro. What about bacon? Have you ever had smoked tri tip? Kobe beef from a young cow feed beer and green grass, so tender you can cut it with a fork? Perhaps you have not had really good food. Maybe you should go to a third world country for a few months and might learn to appreciate how good you have it, instead of complaining about how disgusted you are. Also, what the hell does this have to do with bladesmithing?

I think that is very sad. As I see it, cooking and eating good food is one of the only things that separates Man from Beast. I revere good food, not necessarily fancy food, but good ingredients treated with respect. That is just my .02.

Geoff

Agreed

Plus I find facebook trash and I actually have never had a profile and never will B)

I personally love to eat but I can definitely agree with Ted. I can't stand to be working on somethin, especially at a critical moment, and my stomach start talkin to me. I wouldn't mind bein able to plug up and charge my battery and go. Of course most of my friends and family seem to think i plug in anyway :)

Btw i see no problem with this discussion especially since its in a free for all sub forum. Can we please not start another argument about whats 'appropriate' on this forum.

That's a sad statement bro. What about bacon? Have you ever had smoked tri tip? Kobe beef from a young cow feed beer and green grass, so tender you can cut it with a fork? Perhaps you have not had really good food. Maybe you should go to a third world country for a few months and might learn to appreciate how good you have it, instead of complaining about how disgusted you are. Also, what the hell does this have to do with bladesmithing?

I love tri-tip! I've managed to find ways of getting it out here in Wisconsin. But it's not the same as West Coast Santa Maria tri-tip fired in a half barrel over mesquite by some huge Samoan.

Ever deep fry lobster?

I also like bacon.

Spend a year in the vast rain forest desert of central Africa if you want to learn to hate food.

Edited by Scott A. Roush

The forum is called "The Way-Open Discussions About It All". Maybe you should have noticed that before making your snide comment.

Ted, I have to say I can't really relate to not enjoying food. Although growing up I was a very picky eater. I am sure I gave my mother terrible grief.

I will say that in adulthood I feel a very strong connection to food that I cook and I enjoy taking pride in the craft of cooking, especially when I get to share it with those I care about.

Scott, I have had deep fried lobster. Also, I lived on aircraft carriers for years on multiple deployments around the world. Food on the boat is horrible, and it only made me appreciate food more when I got home. If you have ever been to a war zone where children are starving you kind of learn to stop complaining and be thankful you have what you have.

Scott, I have had deep fried lobster. Also, I lived on aircraft carriers for years on multiple deployments around the world. Food on the boat is horrible, and it only made me appreciate food more when I got home. If you have ever been to a war zone where children are starving you kind of learn to stop complaining and be thankful you have what you have.

Oh yes. I gained an alarming amount of weight when I returned (it was Peace Corps). But I hated food while I was there. Bush meat hanging in the sun for 3 days at 90F, spoiled hippo liver, palm oil saturated boiled manioc, no cheese. NO cheese. I remember hearing that some French expats were running a place with pizza. We journeyed almost 2 days to get there. A giant pizza came out covered almost entirely with egg white and one little circle of cheese in the middle.

Bugger off you lot! Now I'M HUNGRY!!!

I love good honest well prepared food, being a chef has something to do with it, but what I enjoy most is when another chef sees my knives... I love jealousy too!

This is a thread that has introduced me to two extremes of foods that I have never eaten. On the one hand you have deep fried lobster. Sounds mouthwateringly over-the-top and thoroughly delicious! But on the opposite hand you have hippo liver...an organ meat from a grass and mud-eating animal that frankly sounds disgusting even its freshest state. Spoiled I doubt enhances the experience. Add in an OP who takes no joy from food? What can I say but that this thread has given me much food for thought...

I see food as something you have to do. Spending hours in the kitchen to prepare a meal just isn't something I would ever consider. Paying good money for fancy things like lobster or seafood stuff? Ain't gonna happen.

That's not to say that I haven't eaten good meals. I just prefer very simple foods like steak and mashed potatoes, or my mom's ever delicious vegetable soup. Fried chicken is nice. Good barbeque is something to enjoy when you want to feel all hoity-toity. In forty some years on this earth, I've never eaten a lobster, clam or oyster simply because they're not worth the effort, in my opinion.

Of course, I also didn't grow up in a culture where eating was a social occasion.

This is a thread that has introduced me to two extremes of foods that I have never eaten. On the one hand you have deep fried lobster. Sounds mouthwateringly over-the-top and thoroughly delicious! But on the opposite hand you have hippo liver...an organ meat from a grass and mud-eating animal that frankly sounds disgusting even its freshest state. Spoiled I doubt enhances the experience. Add in an OP who takes no joy from food? What can I say but that this thread has given me much food for thought...

ha! Yeah Central Africa (Gabon) is an extreme place. People think of rainforest as this fantasy fairy land with animals and birds and flowers and sun filtering through the treetops. The hippo probably wasn't considered spoiled by their standards... without refrigeration and an apparent disregard/disinterest in field dressing and huge travel time to get anywhere.. they are just used to meat that is... off. Now ... Baja Mexico, boats pulling in with the days catch, a 55 gallon drum fire with a big wok on top and whole lobsters sizzling in oil, some crispy corn tortillas, salsa verde, avocado, and fresh ceviche! Maybe some clams dug up from the beach and a speared dorado. A man can live in Baja.

Perhaps I should mention that I also did the military thing, have travelled all over (including third world countries) , and was even born overseas (I hate to say where ). I think when I was young food did more for me, but now.....yick! Also I have a lot of food allergies plus acid reflux like you wouldn't believe, so there are a lot of things that are a no no. Like shellfish. Bacon smells great but eating it immobilizes me for the rest of the day!