Multi-bar Seax w/ Carved Moose Antler & Blackwood

Nice pattern development / grind point on the twists. And the stone too! ;)

All:

Thanks very much indeed for all the positive comments.

Jul, Thanks especially for you instruction on bezels, etc. during AF. I'm afraid I screwed this one up a little in the rounding over of the edge, but it seems stuck in place securely enough, so I'm pleased (since at least five of its brothers lay lost on the shop floor after escaping their little silver cages!).

Of course, with every success . . . the scabbard I molded and clamped last night somehow got a dusting of steel dust and developed leather acne overnight: a total reboot. Ah well. Humility and patience are two rewards from this craft, right?

Grins,

Dave

Here are some shots of how the hilt is constructed. Given the fiddly nature of the multi-part grip, it took a lot of alignment pins, etc. Pain in the butt, really.

Oh . . . and a shot of my workbench: Just to dispel the myth that my workshop is always tidy!

Dave

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG

IMG_0292.JPG

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0303.JPG

Thanks again, all. It truly means a lot to me.

Jim: Thanks especially. If carving was a required class in school, I would have been in "Special Education" for it. Still, I'm determined to make a go of it.

Peter: Thanks so much. I greatly admire your work, so your compliment means a great deal.

Dave

Beautifully executed, Dave. The stark contrast between the brass,blackwood, and antler is incredibly attractive.And I love the broad blade profile. It's also fantastic to see someone doing a more elaborate hilt on a seax. So often I see gorgeous and complex blades with extremely simple hilts in comparison. It was interesting to see the progress pictures, I didn't imagine the tang being so off- centered like that.

That's great! The blade is so unique and robust, it's quite a statement.