R.H.Graham

Old dog learning new tricks...slowly...

Got a friend coaching me on photography. I suck, just a beginner.

But it's a start. New way to look at stuff for sure. I like it.

Now I need a real camera.

Anyway. Diggin macro right now.

image.jpg

Macro can be a lot of fun. Especially when photographing insects and dew drops. My favorite lens for field work is my 100mm 2.8, I have gotten some really great shots with it.

yeah like I said on FB... get at least a 2.8 lens. Pretty narrow depth-of-field but opens up a lot for hand-held natural light. Otherwise getting an off-camera flash (via sync cord) with diffuser screen is amazing. You can still hand-hold the camera and get greater depth-of-field. Narrow DOF can look cool sometimes.. but it can really throw off a good macro picture. When using natural light and 2.8.. make sure your subject is as much in the same plane as your camera lens to maximize how much is in focus.

I'm not sure how much you know about photography... but message me if you have no idea what I'm talking about.. :-)

I like the Nikkor 60mm 2.8 macro for most stuff... I like the 105mm 2.8" for insects and critters that don't want you too close.

yeah like I said on FB... get at least a 2.8 lens. Pretty narrow depth-of-field but opens up a lot for hand-held natural light. Otherwise getting an off-camera flash (via sync cord) with diffuser screen is amazing. You can still hand-hold the camera and get greater depth-of-field. Narrow DOF can look cool sometimes.. but it can really throw off a good macro picture. When using natural light and 2.8.. make sure your subject is as much in the same plane as your camera lens to maximize how much is in focus.

I'm not sure how much you know about photography... but message me if you have no idea what I'm talking about.. :-)

I like the Nikkor 60mm 2.8 macro for most stuff... I like the 105mm 2.8" for insects and critters that don't want you too close.

Great advice!!! Depth of field is greatly affected by what aperture/focal length you're shooting!!

That one was done under a crappy lamp with incandecent bulb, and a 20 buck magnet-stick-on macro lens on my ipad mini

:0)

well technology is sure changing photography. That's why I quit shooting professionally. It is impressive detail with what you were working with. But... adding a tripod, diffused light and/or off-camera flash will still blow your mind. ;)

30.jpg

edit: actually.. these were shot using a tripod, long exposure and a pocket flash light.

Edited by Scott A. Roush

I've long wanted to get a better camera and get much deeper into photography, I'm hoping this year I'll be able to do that.

In the meantime I figured a couple of lenses and the ipad will help me get stuff onto the web for sales and give me lots of practice with a simple device, before I add to the complexity of the gear.

Good detail for what you are shooting with. But see the noise in the corners and along the top edge? And some softness to the detail? The softness could be due to post-processing.. or lack of. Also looks like the lens glass maybe. What software are you using to process? No matter how good a digital camera/lens.. you will almost always need to (at the very least) apply a sharpening filter. Some of the editorial pros who want to waste no time in Photoshop have very good in-camera settings that put out a well saturated and sharp jpeg. But most folks need to do the minimal of color profile and sharpen for the final product. This is especially true for stuff that is going on to the internet. Most internet applications severely degrade digital photos... and you have to take this into account when you 'photoshop' your image. i.e. exaggerate sharpness and color saturation as these are generally compromised by web browsers, forums, facebook, etc.

Hopefully this stuff is helpful for you... All of the crap that I spew comes down to what you want out of your picture taking.

Yes, all helpful, I'm a beginner.

No processing at all, just cropped a bit.

Picture is of a small curved surface, the handle on a very small knife.