Sign in to follow this  
Jerrod Miller

ASM Heat Treater's Guide Companion

I got an email this morning from ASM. Apparently they put out an app for Android and Apple products for heat treat information. I downloaded it and checked out the 52100 information and it looked pretty cool. Best part is that it is FREE! Just go to the respective store for your device (Google Play or iTunes) and search for "Heat Treater's Guide Companion". As far as I can tell it is for a mobile app only, no desktop version (for free at least).

Oh YES this'll be handy. Thank you for telling us!

Great! I just downloaded it and seems to be an outstanding resource, thank you for sharing!!

John

Very cool, thanks for the info!

I downloaded it and tried to look up L6 or 15n20 and came up nil.

Any idea what those alloys would be called by ASM, or what alloy that is included would be closest to them?

James

Unfortunately there are a lot of alloys listed there that I am not familiar with so I can't say if there is anything close to 15N20 or L6. I can say that L6 is the AISI designation for that alloy so since it doesn't come up, it isn't there (yet at least). Also, 15N20 doesn't have an AISI designation (as far as I can tell), so it is just a matter of digging to find something close. Best I can come up with off the top of my head that is in there (which isn't really all that close) is 4340. Bummer.

It is a start though and I would think that there will be updates in the future. So stay tuned! (Meaning download the app and let it auto-update, not that I am going to keep this thread updated with all the new changes if there are any.)

COOL! I looked around at similar apps and found the "Uddeholm Steel handbook" as well. Unfortunately it's just an extended advertisement, so no 15n20 HT specs there..

I wrote to the ASM folks and this is how that went:

Me: Thanks for the HTS App! Are there plans to add more alloys to it? Can certain alloys be requested? (If so L6 and 15N20 would be pretty cool.) Also, a suggestion for “similar alloys” that are in the app when searching for an alloy that isn’t in the app would be helpful.

Them (specifically a lady named Linda): Thanks for the feedback! I think these are great suggestions.

Based on feedback from you and other users, we are considering adding additional steels – tool steels, stainless, and ultrahigh-strength. ASM currently has a heat treating datasheet for L6, but not for 15N20, so if we decide to expand the coverage, we will include L6.

I’ll relay your feedback regarding 15N20 to the ASM content development folks in any case.

We’re also thinking about adding ‘similar steels’ to the search function.

Score!

Sweet! Thanks for doin that follow-up!

James

Awesome! It is always refreshing to hear stories like that of great customer support :)

John

Update: Just got this email.

Hi Jerrod,

You may already be aware that we recently added more alloys to the HTS app.

The most recent release includes tool, stainless, and ultra-high strength steels, in addition to the carbon and alloy steels that were in the previous version.

L6 is now included. I am not sure whether ASM has heat treating data for 15N20 – I didn’t find it in our database, but will check into this further.

Also, the search function now also searches for “similar steels”.

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions!

Best regards,

Linda Vermillion

I noticed they had upgraded it a few weeks ago. Thanks for asking them!

I find it fantastic that they take the time to do this, especially for a free app :D

Linda just sent me another email: They now have an app for Aluminum heat treating as well. Not that we need to HT aluminum for knife parts, but in case anyone is interested otherwise I thought I'd let you all know.