Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Makin

dimples

After I quench my clay hardened blades where the ashi lines were there are verticle dimples.When I first saw them I thought were cracks but they polish out easily.Has anyone else noted this?Is the steel actually contracting there?

Did you get a picture? I haven't noticed anything like that, but surface scaling can show surface effects.

Yes

But it is not common, and when I have seen it (just twice) -it was in lower carbon steels; say 1050 more so than in the higher ones. But that may be... just me.

It happened where ashi are. It is always been my guess that what I saw was a contraction area of pearlite frozen in the ashi within the area under expansion in the yakiba. It was only a very thin skin/surface problem. It may be long while before you see it again. It has been that way for me.

Just now I edited...... I remember "thinking" I saw it again once when it was a wheel/belt score from my poor grinding technique.....doofus. :blink:

cheers

Dan

Edited by Dan

Yes

But it is not common, and when I have seen it -it was in lower carbon steels; say 1050 more so than in the higher ones. But that may be... just me.

It happens where ashi are. It is always been my guess that it was a contraction area of pearlite frozan in the ashi within the area under expansion in the yakiba. It is only a very thin skin/surface problem. It may be long while before you see it again.

cheers

Dan

24288[/snapback]

This time it was on some 1072c steel it pretty much happens everytime so maybe it has to do with my methods

After I quench my clay hardened blades where the ashi lines were there are verticle dimples.When I first saw them I thought were cracks but they polish out easily.Has anyone else noted this?Is the steel actually contracting there?

I think I know what you mean . I got it a similar thing on a tanto I did with lots of ashi.

Once I'd quenched and removed the clay , there were raised lines all along the blade where ashi had been.

The surface of the steel was actually raised , and looked like a ladder along the edge . You could feel the effect with your finger also.

I was using silver steel, roughly 1% carbon

Not to get too technical here but if the ashi that you make are thick enough you will notice a ripple effect on the surface of the steel that can be felts by touching or when you start polishing. The steel is raised in the spaces between the ashi, those not covered by the clay. Why? I suspect that since martensite crystals occupy a larger volume than other crystals they "raise" the steel.