G L Drew

New Guy Here

I have been lunking on these forums for a few weeks and even though I am a little intimidated by a lot of the talent that I see here I thought I would post a shot of one of my more "blacksmithy" looking knives. I made this a few years ago from a round bar of 52100 steel which was the only way I could find to buy it at the time. I forged the handle to a square for the twist before making the butt loop and forging out the blade. I took the knife to a show where it got some attention but think it was a little over the top for most buyers in the group; it was mostly hunters and campers looking for working knives. When I got it back home my wife put in a claim and it now hangs as a decoration in our kitchen.

3-8-14_3.JPG

Welcome to the forum! That is a fine knife indeed B) I'm particularly fond of the blade shape. The handle is nifty too. Reading, I thought you meant you simply twisted the square, but then I saw what you did and it came out quite well. Almost like a cube twist without the cubes! I think you'll fit right in here!

John

Welcome to the forum. Don't be intimidated, true there are some incredibly talented smiths here they are all very nice and helpful. That's a beauty of a knife, nice tight twists on the handle.

Great looking blade Drew! And welcome to the forums!

Welcome! Good job, looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Edited by John F. Ellis

Welcome! Neat knife, (I would have staked a claim on it too...)

-Miles-

Have you any more photos of the knife kind sir ?

Thanks for the comments, guys. Here are a few more shots.

3-10-14_1.JPG

3-10-14_2.JPG

3-10-14.JPG