New user, first knife

Hi all,

Im a long time stalker that finally joined. I was over with Owen Bush at the end of Jan 2014 for a 1 to 1 2 day damascus course. He said it might be a good idea to start getting my name out there a bit if I intend to pursue bladesmithing/swordsmithing.

To that end Im uploading a photo of my first knife. It's based on a Leuku the traditional Sami camp knife and has some viking styling to it. There are ravens (Huginn and Muninn) carved into the handle based on horseware found on Gotland. Eyes with golden pupils cast about, like Odin's good eye, are carved into deer antler, another nod to the traditional background of knife type.

Any thoughts or constructive feedback would be great.

so close I can smell it.jpg

Raven carving looks great, love the overall shape. Like Alan said, clearer pictures help take in all the details. I'm still working on that myself!

I'd like to blame my phone for the blurry photo but a bad workman always blames his tools. I intend on getting a better/proper camera and will try and get some help on the photography end of things. Thanks for the comment on the carving it was my first attempt at anything like that before. Wood is not really my material but Im enjoying gaining the experience that comes with mastering new techniques and skills.

Here's a photo with a slightly better camera, less blurry hopefully

5MP knife.jpg

Edited by Martin Troy

looks great for a first. better than my 5th. take some time to review a lot of other stuff posted on this forum. It always helps, and it is fun.

keep sharing your work. I look forward to watching you progress.

kc

pretty cool. I have a buddy that likes ravens a lot. thanks for the good idea! Welcome to the forum

Welcome Martin! That is a great looking first knife! I like the wood carving as well and it is not a simple task to make four pieces of material fit together into a functioning knife so I say well done.