• Announcements

• Alan Longmire

IMPORTANT Registration rules   02/12/2017

Use your real name or you will NOT get in.  No aliases or nicknames, no numerals in your name. Do not use the words knives, blades, swords, forge, smith (unless that is your name of course) etc. We are all bladesmiths and knifemakers here.  If you feel you need an exception or are having difficulty registering, send a personal email to the forum registrar here.  
Jim Kelso

Sakai Masaichi (Toshimasa)

9 posts in this topic

Toshimasa-Sensei (Sakai Masaichi) passed on March 10, 2014 at the age of 90. It's my understanding that for many years he was Mukansa (beyond judging) at the yearly kodogu competition in Tokyo.

I visited Toshimasa Sensei three times since 1988 and he was very generous, answering freely any questions I had concerning chokin (metal engraving, fabrication). I had an appointment to see him in 2011 but he had to cancel due to health. We received a New Year greeting in January with a photo of him and his wife in Arashiyama, Kyoto and he seemed in good health.

He taught himself chokin after having made pistols earlier. I will miss his passion, artistry and generosity.

Here are three photos of his work. I'll try to scan some others soon.

menuki raised by uchidashi

SakaiFrog019.jpg

ToshimasafishTsubaweb.jpg

ToshimasaTeaHouseweb.jpg

Edited by Jim Kelso

WOW! just WOW! RIP. Hats off to him.

That's very sad to hear of Toshimasa's death, at least he lived a full life and left some beautiful artwork behind. Hopefully you learned something from him while he was alive.

Beautiful! Much respect to the artist. How nice that you knew him.

Thanks guys. Next week I'll make a tribute at my web-journal with more photos. For now here is one other tsuba:

img003PSEweb.jpg

img004PSEweb2.jpg

img002web.jpg

Thanks for this post Jim. Wonderful work...

Thanks Jim, a fitting tribute to a great artist! He sure produced stunningly beautifull work, the world shall be a lot poorer without him!