drawing it before you start?

auggie

form my experiance with others paper and pincil have become wooden blanks/templets for repeted use if the liked the desgin plus they just look cool hanging around the workbench of the shop

http://bearclawknives.com/ my mentor and his friends once told me there os no problem that cant be solved with a fine cigar and a pot of coffee

you know some people just need a sympathetic pat.....on the head........with sledge hammer

Seven Points Forge by the Bay

• 4 weeks later...

I trained as a product designer, have built a fair amount of furniture, have taught introductory shop/model making and run a prototyping shop. I was and do train everyone I come into contact with to draw, it's not hard, the materials are simple to aquire pencil, eraser, paper and a straight edge or ruler of some sort for roughly sizing, getting the straight bits straight.

Not to say that I completely disagree with the "everyone does it their own way" statement, but one learns quite a bit from drawing the shapes you are intending to make and fully understanding the geometry. The students that I teach aren't allowed to touch tool to material without a drawing of the intention.

Reasons why I think it's a crucial step...One is understanding, oftentimes the idea in our heads isn't refined enough, when you are trying to pull that idea out at the forge (or anywhere else) you are making it up as you go with a feedback loop of how things are currently going. Two a drawing gives you a defined parameter to reach for, if you've drawn something "nice" or a blade has a specific edge profile, tip shape etc. you know have a hard line that says you've either got that shape or not. Third, economy. A sketchbook with several hundred pages costs less than a bar of plain high carbon steel. You could fill that thing with thousands of blade shapes (depending on the blade) without needing to fire anything up, hammer anything out or replace any abrasives. I'd rather draw 100 duds than physically make a few meh objects.

I'm an analytical type person, and I was trained a certain way that makes a lot of sense to me, it allows a metric to judge the work after, rather than "yes this is about what I was thinking in my head." I draw a lot of whatever I'm going to build, I look at a lot of reference material, I make full size paterns or mock ups. That's how I've taught, that's what I do and that's what I'd advise, I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that have either done it enough at the forge or feel too artistically restraighed to limit themselves to a drawing (i've gotten that in class). Maybe it works, or works after a long while, or a lot of scrap/tweaking.

http://www.bladesmithsforum.com/index.php?showtopic=30179

That has some of the drawings I've been working on the last few days..